Growing a chick in a bowl

Just keep trying different things & see if your embryo's live.
idunno.gif

I find it very interesting (yes, disturbing to, but that's science for you).

I would like to try something like this when my birds start breeding & I have a ready supply of free fertile eggs.
pop.gif

Just an update the egg I currently have in there is doing good. Once it gets passed my first egg I will post pictures

Thank you for posting pictures, I think I may have a broody hen, as I've been finding eggs in my daily collection, that I've cracked looking like your 12-24 hr pictures, despite it being cold overnight.

Whats missing is theres no pores for the "egg" to lose moisture & exchange oxygen. As they get older, the oxygen needed increases. If you can mimic that artificially it may make it further. Maybe poke holes with a tiny needle
pop.gif

As for hatching, would personally just let it pip the plastic or pip for it, then make sure it can't get out until the yolk is fully absorbed. Stimulating the chick may help drastically with yolk absorption. If you can make it do any exercise in any for while in the egg, this should help it absorb the yolk. Or you could tie it off.

Yes, gas exchange is very important.

Poking holes with a needle could expose the embryo to potentially harmful bacteria.

If you're serious about this, I'd recommend trying Kordon Breather Bags. They were created for transporting fish. "Kordon Breathing Bags allow the transfer of simple and complex gas molecules through the plastic wall of the bag." You could place a piece of this material on top of the egg. That way gas exchange can occur and bacteria will be kept out.

Make sure everything that you use is sterile before attempting to do this. Perhaps you should soak everything in boiling water, including the glass bowl.

It'd be very cool if this worked.

Back
Top Bottom