Growing back grass

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Corey NC, Dec 31, 2007.

1. Corey NC

Corey NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    North Carolina
    I want to grow back the grass in part of my run that I can close off. What temps will be warm enough for the grass the grow back in? Should I put seed and hay down or will it grow back on it's own?

2. countryboy

countryboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2007
    reseed and rake it in, the old grass might grow back in but reseeding is a good investment.also covering with hay after reseeding and raking would be good .seeds like to germinate around 70 degrees.

3. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    Is the soil nice and loose? My girls always seem to pack it down pretty well, so before I reseed I go in and pitchfork it all up.

4. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    We plant rye in the winter and when it starts to die off we throw in bahia for the summer time.

5. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    I have rye coming up where I've thrown scratch down! Gues they missed the rye seed.

6. countryboy

countryboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2007
    i forgot about the rye grass(winter grass)we haven't planted that in a few years.

7. snugglepup

snugglepup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2007
    Creedmoor, NC
    Hey Corey,

It depends on what kind of cover you had before, and how deep the damage was. I've found bermuda comes back well from practically nothing, even after the sheep/horses have eaten it to the ground. Fescue not as much.

In our part of the state, you could put down some rye now, and it might come up. But won't really do much good because it's an annual. We usually overseed the pastures with rye around the week of the fair. It will die back as soon as it warms up. If you wanted to seed in fescue, you'll need to wait probably until march. Bermuda, probably may/june. Of course, if you wait until the summer the crabgrass with cover everything pretty quickly. [​IMG]

Hannah

8. Corey NC

Mar 28, 2007
    North Carolina
    Here is a pic I took this morning you can see the ground in the back. Let me know what I can do for it.

[​IMG]

9. Wolfpacker

Wolfpacker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2007
    Raleigh
    Hi Corey. Aren't you near Sanford? If so, it depends on what part of the county you're in whether you want fescue or a warm season grass. If you needed fescue, you should have done that in the fall. I think you can start warm season grass in the spring. But you have to keep in watered every day until it comes up and then one inch a week until it matures, and with our drought, it might be difficult.

10. Corey NC

Mar 28, 2007
    North Carolina
    I am in Durham county right on the person/durham edge. I don't know much about grass at all so you'll have to explain to me a bit more about the types of grass. The main thing is that I can't free-range my chooks so they have to be in there run all the time and I wanted them to have some grass for a little while.

Thanks!
    Corey

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by