Growing fodder for chickens

Do you put the presoaked seeds in the top gutter/trough?
Do you rotate the gutters or leave them in their place until done?
Do you just "slide" the fodder out leaving the gutter trough on the wall? or remove the gutter and feed directly from it?
I see you have more "support straps" on the lower gutters, are these needed to support the added weight?

goodpost.gif

I was wondering the same things, plus one more question,

Do you have an issue with any seeds running/sliding out in the beginning while watering?

Love the wall system. I had the same questions as above so I guess we all want to know.

BTW NotAFarm. Great pictures. That's how my wheat looks currently.

Last edited:
I do pre soak the seeds with a just a little bleach over night and rinse them very well. If they pre soak longer that not a problem either, wont hurt them a bit.

I dont move the gutters, they stay where they are but you can tell which ones are at what stages very easily by looking at the seeds.

When I remove the fodder I just run it off the end in one strip. Sometimes it breaks in half when Im pulling it out but I cut it up afterwards anyways into smaller portions for the bunnies and leave it in strips for the hens.

The are the same amount of support straps for each gutter, not any more on the bottom than the rest, 2 supports per gutter.

All the gutters are attached to a piece of OSB and painted and then attached to a metal shelf unit we had already.

Very easy. Its in my (used to be dining room) but several years ago we started an aquaponics system with Talapia and growing herbs and lettuces in it so it takes up a good portion of my dining room and this is beside it.

When you are a true homesteader - I guess you "live it" and somethings just dont matter as much as others. Its gone by the wayside, eating in the living room together on trays... is still eating together. LOL

I do pre soak the seeds with a just a little bleach over night and rinse them very well. If they pre soak longer that not a problem either, wont hurt them a bit.

I dont move the gutters, they stay where they are but you can tell which ones are at what stages very easily by looking at the seeds.

When I remove the fodder I just run it off the end in one strip. Sometimes it breaks in half when Im pulling it out but I cut it up afterwards anyways into smaller portions for the bunnies and leave it in strips for the hens.

The are the same amount of support straps for each gutter, not any more on the bottom than the rest, 2 supports per gutter.

All the gutters are attached to a piece of OSB and painted and then attached to a metal shelf unit we had already.

Very easy. Its in my (used to be dining room) but several years ago we started an aquaponics system with Talapia and growing herbs and lettuces in it so it takes up a good portion of my dining room and this is beside it.

When you are a true homesteader - I guess you "live it" and somethings just dont matter as much as others. Its gone by the wayside, eating in the living room together on trays... is still eating together. LOL

I really love your wall system! Dining room wall? I think I would have a major fight on my hands to accomplish that. My husband would NEVER go for it. However, if we ever get our addition built out back I will secure part of it as an incubation/brooding/fermenting/sprouting/fodder room! I am currently building a feed barn and perhaps I could do this in there... at least during the warmer months. I live in the desert and have no greens growing for my birds (working on getting that changed) but fodder might work if I can keep the building semi-cool. The winters are just too cold.

Oh, I almost forgot, mealworm bins and dubia roaches as well. (yikes!)

Last edited:
It actually grows better where its cooler, between 60-70 degrees. Our house is a bit too warm but it is in the diningroom and its cooler there than the main part of the hosue. However in the summer we will have to move it to the basement s it will be way to hot there by the southside patio window. But for now, it is painted to go with the decor and we dont mind it a bit. Kinda like the green splash and the growing wall is like a piece of art. LOL

Oh almost missed this question....we have a large tub with 2 small holes drilled in the one end, and it sit on top and slightly over the top gutter. When I pour water into it then it very slowly trickles into the first gutter, and doesnt move the seeds around. It did at first, because it was filling it up too fast. So we made the holes smaller and only made two. Now it works just fine.

Thanks for the question....if I could post my own pics, I would share a photo of it.

Back
Top Bottom