Growing fodder for chickens

I did this. Took about 1/4 of the quart bottle of Bragg's and added to a gallon jug (removed some from the jug to make room) of distilled acv. Did it again with a second gallon. Put the acv I pulled out into the Bragg's bottle and used it first. Left the gallons on the pantry floor until the quart bottle was gone. Both gallons had the cloudy swirls in it that lets you know the "mother" is present. I have 25 chickens. At the time, they were all together in one large coop and free-ranged so I had one waterer (use one TBSP each filling) to deal with plus the 2 TBSPs I used to start my fermented feed so it was a couple of weeks +/- and they were ready. You can then use acv from the gallon jug to make two more and so on and so on.... This is what I did YMMV (your mileage may vary).
smile.png
Thanks NotAFarm, I appreciate it!!

What is with this thread and the messed up posts?! I had to do my post above four times and left off some stuff to get it to read right. Maybe it is the quote function........

Last edited:
Some of the human sprouting people use some kind of grapefruit extract. Others have recommended food-grade hydrogen peroxide.

But ... very tiny amounts of the right kind of bleach (such as Ultra Clorox Germicidal Bleach because it doesn't have fragrances or other additives) are allowed to wash organic produce post harvest ... 4ppm, like for potable water ... even that little might be enough? 

http://www.extension.org/pages/18355/approved-chemicals-for-use-in-organic-postharvest-systems 

More concentrated amounts of bleach are allowed in different phases of Organic production.  

Here is a link to a little flyer about bleach in Organics: http://mofga.macusa.net/wp-content/uploads/comingcleanonsanitizerssum2011.pdf

I couldn't copy the text, but the flyer does state that "Water used in direct crop or food contact is permitted to contain chlorine at levels approved by the FDA or EPA … however, rinsing with potable water (4ppm or less chlorine) must follow this step."

So ... seems like it *could* be fine to soak fodder seeds in bleach for your Organic layer feed.

That is really helpful. I very much appreciate it.

Fed my first batch of fodder to the birds this morning. There was mixed reactions. Some birds jumped right in and the whole bunch was gone quickly. Some of the pens the birds are just looking at it and wondering where their regular food is. I think all in all it was a good first try.

I did find that a good portion of the oats & corn did not sprout. The new batches with the wheat are sprouting and growing much faster. I am going to experiment with letting the corn and oats soak for a little longer and then try sprouting those seeds in separate flats. I guess if worse come to worse I will ferment the grain or just feed it dry. Never the less it will not go to waste.

I got my wheat from Walmart in the mail two days ago. It came much faster than the delivery date quoted which was next Wednesday. I have not tried any of this yet but I think it will work just fine. It came in a nice plastic bucket that I am sure I will be able to re-use for something.

I really like all the great ideal everyone is posting. I am really enjoying this thread. Good luck everyone and keep posting your results.

I purchase locally at the Rough Stock feed store in Kingman Az. 50 lb. recleaned barley for $16 or so. They also stock recleaned oats and wheat cheaper. I use all three in fermented feed for chickens and pigs. The mixture is what I sprout for the chickens but they only get a 2.5"x10" bisket a day of 1-2 inches high sprouts. I found that egg production fell off so now give a pound or so of egg maker per day for 18 chickens.
That's not a bad price, compared to some I've seen.
I know I read somewhere a post about extending UF/ACV by mixing it with regular ACV and leaving it in a dark place to grow. I need the formula because I've been to 4 different area Walmart stores trying to get the Heinz brand UF/ACV. Every store the same thing, just an empty space with a $3.68 shelf sticker for I think a 32oz. bottle
barnie.gif

So I had to make myself,,,, ok, my wife had to make me fork over $4.79 for a 16oz bottle of Braggs at another grocer.
somad.gif

At .30 an ounce I can't afford to rinse, add to animals water, ferment etc, unless I make some home made stuff. Here's thanking you in advance for help on this.
I know what you mean...but here is how I think of it: if it keeps the animals healthy, production up, and good fertility, it's worth it in the long run.

I saw a couple recipes just the other day where you can make your own ACV at home...it looked really simply and cost effective. You might research that a bit.
You might want to ask the feed mill if they offer a bulk price, if that is something you would be interested in.
We have a local feed mill that I just found out about and will started getting my grain in bulk this spring. I plan to start doing some fermenting this spring so I'm interested in bulk because of price and the fact that they are 50 miles from me. So I want to make the trip worth it.
I can get bulk grain there in 55 gallon barrels at what I feel is good prices; Corn, whole - $60.00, cracked - $62.00, cracked w/molasses $65.00, Wheat $62.00, Scratch mix $65.00. I haven't gotten a price for milo or oats yet but I assume they will be in the same range since I bought a 50# bag of whole oats for $10.50 and their price for milo and wheat is $9.50. I bought the oats only because the day I was there they didn't have any wheat bagged up.

They did give me a sample of milo and wheat to make sure it will sprout, and yes it does. I had to spend a little more time rinsing the wheat and oats for sprouting/fodder but figure when I ferment it won't matter that much. I was very happy with the milo, it was cleaner than the other. My chooks really like the scratch so I plan to try a tray or two of it for fodder this week and see what happens. I bought 3 bags of 16% layer pellets for $11.00 each
That's a good idea. I know I asked them if they'd do a custom feed mix for me, and they will but I have to buy 2,000 lbs of it. Not sure about the seed.

That is a great price for layer pellets! The mill's layer pellets were 20% I think. They had a pretty good selection on feed. It's just they're two hrs away! Gah!
Fed my first batch of fodder to the birds this morning. There was mixed reactions. Some birds jumped right in and the whole bunch was gone quickly. Some of the pens the birds are just looking at it and wondering where their regular food is. I think all in all it was a good first try.

I did find that a good portion of the oats & corn did not sprout. The new batches with the wheat are sprouting and growing much faster. I am going to experiment with letting the corn and oats soak for a little longer and then try sprouting those seeds in separate flats. I guess if worse come to worse I will ferment the grain or just feed it dry. Never the less it will not go to waste.

I got my wheat from Walmart in the mail two days ago. It came much faster than the delivery date quoted which was next Wednesday. I have not tried any of this yet but I think it will work just fine. It came in a nice plastic bucket that I am sure I will be able to re-use for something.

I really like all the great ideal everyone is posting. I am really enjoying this thread. Good luck everyone and keep posting your results.
Oh, that is awesome! Have you tired giving any to your ducks and geese? Speaking of geese, how is Tri and her boyfriend doing?
love.gif

I'm still drooling over her....are you getting any eggs from your geese yet? I found my first Sebastopol egg (ever) this morning. It either came from my smooth grey Seb, or my smooth lilac Seb girlie. Exciting!!

~ Aspen

Back
Top Bottom