Growing fodder for chickens

I don't see why not... but I have a feeling that it may depend on how many times you run the water through the fodder and what the condition of the fodder is. If you have even a small amount of mold trying to grow, you might have a worse problem on your hands if it gets to your animals, but if you can keep the fodder mold-free then I'd say GO FOR IT!
I have been watering my plants and trees with the waste water. I only run through once each watering. Same batch of water goes through all 7 trays, then I take it outside for the plants. I do not recycle the water further.

I just ordered some chia and flax seeds on Amazon. I found a great deal on the flax there. I just hope my girls will eat it. I know it is nice and green here in FL but I figure it is better to feed them the fodder because I can control what they eat.
No one is touching the BOSS. I hope they like it sprouted better. I bought a giant bag!

Black Oil Sunflower Seed
big_smile.png

I'd ferment the flax rather than attempt to use it for fodder. It gets EXTREMELY slimey when it's wet. It could be probably sprouted with the burlap bag method that kassundra uses, but I think that in fodder it would just grow stuff. I've never had any luck sprouting it. It is high fat, but it's high in beneficial fats. chickens fed some flax in their diets lay eggs higher in omega 3 fatty acids, which our diets are deficient in. still, I wouldn't go overboard with it, but a teaspoon a bird a day or so isn't going to hurt them.

I have recently started sprouting barley for my chickens and am wanting to start adding black oil sunflower seeds to the mix. Can you point me in the direction of some sort of source of information regarding an appropriate ratio of the two??

I'd ferment the flax rather than attempt to use it for fodder. It gets EXTREMELY slimey when it's wet. It could be probably sprouted with the burlap bag method that kassundra uses, but I think that in fodder it would just grow stuff. I've never had any luck sprouting it. It is high fat, but it's high in beneficial fats. chickens fed some flax in their diets lay eggs higher in omega 3 fatty acids, which our diets are deficient in. still, I wouldn't go overboard with it, but a teaspoon a bird a day or so isn't going to hurt them.
Yes, flaxseeds to become quite slimey when wet. I make a lot of flaxseed/Chia seed pudding for us (humans.... ; ) and they soak up all the liquid I put in with them. They are a superfood.
I just found out about this and I am going to so do this year round now! Thanks
thumbsup.gif

I have recently started sprouting barley for my chickens and am wanting to start adding black oil sunflower seeds to the mix. Can you point me in the direction of some sort of source of information regarding an appropriate ratio of the two??
When I sprouted BOSS, I did it in it's own tray. They sprout very quickly, but take three weeks to grow into fodder....so they are much better as sprouts. Everybody loves them.
I sprouted my left over broccoli seed and my chicks went nuts over it!
Awesome!!!!

~ Aspen

Back
Top Bottom