Growing fodder for chickens

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by pawtraitart, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Daloorashens

Daloorashens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2012
    Idaho
    Great idea to start a thread about this... I'm still harvesting my garden, so when I start sprouting, I'll post pics, too...

2. pawtraitart

pawtraitart Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2007
    Idaho
    I still have some garden goodies left, but most of that is going to the freezer camp boys.

1 person likes this.
  3. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Thank you so much for posting this. I have been wanting to do this for awhile and keep putting it off but you inspired me. I have my seed trays now and have tracked down some bulk seeds. (I live in the city so the options are kind of limited). I haven't found wheat but I think I am going to do barley with flax and boss mixed it. I also have oats available - do you think that would be any good or not?

Thank you again.

4. pawtraitart

pawtraitart Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2007
    Idaho
    I don't suggest using the flax seed. It turns into a gummy mass of goo. Oh, and make sure that the barley isn't the pearled kind. The pearled barley won't sprout. BOSS is good. :)

5. ChickensRDinos

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Great. Thank you. I'll stay away from the flax seed. It is definitely whole barley. Yay!

6. Moosetails

Moosetails Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2012
    Anchorage, Alaska
    If you live in the city and are having a hard time finding wheat, barley, or corn, try a home brew store. They will sell it in bulk and can answer questions about "malting" the grain. Back yard chickens and home brewing, these are two of my favorite hobbies.

7. Daloorashens

Daloorashens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2012
    Idaho
    Reading this is making me excited about my winter projects, including sprouting!!

Nomadic Sodbuster likes this.
  8. melwynnd

melwynnd Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2012
    West Plains, MO
    I tried oats in my Fodder system and had a HORRIBLE experience. Poor sprouting, dirty water, and lots of slime. Funny, because it sprouted right up when I threw it in the worm bin..... I found feed wheat and it's been a dream. I have mine all automated with recycled water (I'm a lazy homesteader). I started my fodder system to feed the critters I want to have on my urban homestead (some rabbits, a few chickens, and a couple of mini goats). It's turned into sort of a little business since a lot of my friends wanted one..

[​IMG]

Here's the finished Fodder (6 days):

[​IMG]

9. ChickensRDinos

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    I am silly excited about this. Plan to start this weekend. I am pretty new to urhan homesteading and am slowly planning and added new things. I recently started to grow some herbs and plants indoors with a grow light so I am added these into the mix. How long of a light cycle do you have them on?

10. melwynnd

melwynnd Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2012
    West Plains, MO
    The sprouts don't need any additional light. They're in there for such a short time and you aren't asking them to flower or fruit. I just use what light is in the living room where my Fodder system sits.

My sprouting routine and more information about fodder is a www.half-pinthomestead.com

Sherry

P.S. I'm new to Urban Homesteading too. My last place was 35 acres with horse, goats, and guineas, The place before was 7 acres with milk cows, horses, chickens, sheep, and pigs. It's sort of a lovely puzzle to scale everything down to 1/5 of an acre....[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 8, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by