Growing fodder for chickens

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by pawtraitart, Oct 3, 2012.

1. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Thank you! I am a city girl born and raised who really wants to be a farmer someday. But, I am getting sick of thinking "well someday..." so I'm just gonna work with what I got which is about 400 square feet of yard, a long concrete driveway lined with pots and trelesses and an extra bedroom. Chickens for now but big dreams of turkeys and goats at the next house. lol. I'm not sure how far I can realistically get with this little space but I'm taking it as a personal challenge.

3 people like this.
  2. pawtraitart

pawtraitart Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2007
    Idaho
    NICE!!! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. melwynnd

melwynnd Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2012
    West Plains, MO
    Thanks! This is what I initially wanted it for:

[​IMG]

Think of all the lovely, creamy milk I will have to make cheese with! [​IMG]

But a tray is actually enough for all the critters I want. So yummy meat, lovely yellow eggs, and fresh cheese year round. Pretty hard to beat for $40 a ton, which is what I calculated the wheat Fodder costs me.

Seeing as how crappy hay is over 300 a ton here...............

Sherry

NorthTexasWink, Tnic and EllyHood like this.
  4. Daloorashens

Daloorashens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2012
    Idaho
    Ok, that is awesome.. very cool idea to rotate the water, is that a pump down on the floor to be able to do that?? Very cool...

5. Daloorashens

Apr 26, 2012
    Idaho
    I have some trays, but they are small, could I use the trays they use at the nursery's to put the 4-pack flowers in, you know the big black ones, and line the bottom with some plastic that had holes cut in?? would that keep too much water in?

6. pawtraitart

pawtraitart Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2007
    Idaho
    Flats aren't very expensive if you want to buy new ones. I got mine here: http://homeharvest.com/propagationflatsdomesinserts.htm

7. melwynnd

melwynnd Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2012
    West Plains, MO
    Yep, that's an aquaponics pump down in the tote. I was hoping to do an aquaponic setup with this, but the grain puts too much starch in the water. I change out the water every 3-4 days when the system is in full production. It's on a timer and pumps water for 15 min every two hours. The water flows into the top tray and trickles down into the trays below. The real trick was to get the drainage holes in the trays just right so the water would run out too fast, but that it would drain completely between cycles.

I use the heavy duty black greenhouse flats. They're 11x22 and I get about 12 pounds of Fodder from each one.

I do sell the plans for this system and for a 12 tray one from my webite. www.half-pinthomestead.com There are some pretty good pictures of the daily growth stages too. I use wheat as barley isn't available here and oats just didn't work at all.

It's real easy to build. I just keep mine in the living room.... sort of like a giant water fountain. The cat likes to pull out the grasses because they "squeak".

[​IMG]

luvmyduckies and CoopChick719 like this.
  8. Daloorashens

Apr 26, 2012
    Idaho
    Super, thanks Michelle!!

Haha, silly kitty! I will check out your website, too=)

2 people like this.
  9. QuartzRidgeRanch

QuartzRidgeRanch Out Of The Brooder

Dec 11, 2011
    Georgetown, CA
    We have finally got our fodder system up and running. It is working great but we still have some things we need to add like a heater for winter, a a/c unit for summer and an auto-water system. We originally were looking at the Fodder Trailers but we could not justify the price on something we could build ourselves.

If you want to check ours out visit our blog at Quartz Ridge Ranch

[​IMG]

10. Daloorashens

Apr 26, 2012
    Idaho
    Wow, that is impressive!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by