Growing fodder for chickens

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by pawtraitart, Oct 3, 2012.

1. pawtraitart

pawtraitart Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2007
    Idaho
    A cooler temperature is ideal. If it's too warm, then mold gets a boost. An average of 60 degrees F seems to be perfect according to my tests. Hope that helps. :)

1 person likes this.
  2. DMRippy

DMRippy Pallet Queen Premium Member

May 18, 2011
    Nashville
    It dips in the 40's here most every night. Good sleeping but might get too cool for fodder. I don't have a basement to keep them more constant temps. I can keep them near my brooder boxes to keep them warmer at night. I just need to do some planning.

3. pawtraitart

pawtraitart Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2007
    Idaho
    I would go ahead and try them at 40. It might still work. If not, a regular 60 watt incandescent light bulb nearby might heat it up enough. If you can place your fodder trays in a closet or cabinet with a light bulb in it that should do the trick as well. Good luck. :)

4. DMRippy

DMRippy Pallet Queen Premium Member

May 18, 2011
    Nashville
    [​IMG] Will do!

5. Daloorashens

Daloorashens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2012
    Idaho
    That is a good way to explain it!

My question now... Do you only feed fodder, then? in addition to what you stated above?

6. QuartzRidgeRanch

QuartzRidgeRanch Out Of The Brooder

Dec 11, 2011
    Georgetown, CA
    For my chickens they get fodder morning and evening and then the milk soaked scratch grains for a treat. For my American Guinea Hogs they get mostly fodder, some hay and a little bit of milk and scratch grains as a treat. They are plump but not overly fat. My horse gets fodder and some hay. I don't buy the expensive alfalfa or orchard grass because they get most of their nutrients from the fodder. It is to keep the horse busy and it is recommended to have some leafy, dry hay to move the fodder through their system. Same with the dairy goats, they get fodder and hay. When they are in milk or a month before they kid we give them dairy pellets. My Pilgrim Geese eat just barley and my muscovies eat the barley and they they get to forage for food. So far everyone is a healthy weight and happy. No one seems like they are starving even though it seems like i am feeding them so little. I have found throwing in the hay helps give them something to do :)

NorthTexasWink likes this.
  7. Daloorashens

Daloorashens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2012
    Idaho
    HAve you done a cost comparison with the fodder?? Pound for pound wise... Just curious...

8. kreagerm

kreagerm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2012
    Making plans of my own to take on a fodder project, thanks for all the great information!!!!

9. greenhorn

greenhorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    Millington, MI
    Wow, 40 dollars a ton! That's some inexpensive feed right there.

10. melwynnd

melwynnd Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2012
    West Plains, MO
    Hi Guys,

Sorry for the absence, spent the last week getting ready for a Sustainability festival nearby. My living room was full of Fodder!!

For those of you considering a greenhouse, I would recommend a small, well insulated shed with a window instead. Fodder doesn't need much light. What it DOES need is constant temperatures. It's not going to do much at all at 40 degrees. Even if it heats up to 70 during the day, dropping back down to 40 is going to slow the growth to a crawl. A greenhouse heats up during the day, but it's really hard to keep warm at night.

As for comparative price, that depends on the price of your seed. I buy my wheat for $9.60 per pound. I get about 6 pounds of Fodder per pound of wheat. This so it runs just over $.03 a pound or $64 a ton. Not too bad for such high quality feed.

Sherry

I finally got some decent picture of the 12 tray system. There's on of both systems together on my website Gallery at www.half-pinthomestead.com

[​IMG]

7 people like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by