Growing fodder for chickens

When buying seeds-be sure to ask for seeds for planting because seeds used for feed are often heat treated and will not germinate.

I just bought a 5lb bag of Wheat Seed on Amazon for $11.60 (Free 2 day shipping). http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000E7QYNG/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There may be better deals out there but I don't have time or the energy to run all over the state looking for them.
WOW!!! Talk about paying through the nose. Why not "let your fingers do the walking?"

A 50 pound bag would have cost you roughly the same amount.

People, instead of saying "I can't read through this whole thread, where can I ..." READ the darn forum.

A lot of us have spent time, energy and effort to INFORM the people that WANT to learn.

When you started in school, the teachers taught you how to add before they taught you to multiply, and it took years of teaching to get you to Algebra and higher math.

You wouldn't have asked then "How do I ....?

It is a learning experience.

I'll get off my soap box now.

Skip

WOW!!! Talk about paying through the nose.  Why not "let your fingers do the walking?"

A 50 pound bag would have cost you roughly the same amount.

People, instead of saying "I can't read through this whole thread, where can I ..."  READ the darn forum.  

A lot of us have spent time, energy and effort to INFORM the people that WANT to learn.

When you started in school, the teachers taught you how to add before they taught you to multiply, and it took years of teaching to get you to Algebra and higher math.

You wouldn't have asked then "How do I ....?

It is a learning experience.

I'll get off my soap box now.

Skip

There was no need to get 'on' the soap box in the first place since you attacked me without knowing my circumstances.

I live in very rural area, an hour and a half drive to the nearest city where I might find this 50 lb bag ( which is more than I need since I am in the experimenting stage) and now add the cost of fuel at 3.49 per gallon, using about 6 gallons of gas to make this round trip...if I do the math I have just spent $20 on gas, so add that to the total, not to mention at least three hours of my time driving to get more seed than I need.

So for ME in my situation, buying the 5lb bag at a higher price and not spending my time or wasting my gas, so I can see if I can even successfully grow it is a better deal.

i have no pictures *sad face* i lost my phone somewhere in the back yard. but i actually got dandelions to sprout. i was sooo excited and my DH thought it was cool as well, especially since he doubted it would work in the 1st place. :)

i have no pictures *sad face* i lost my phone somewhere in the back yard. but i actually got dandelions to sprout. i was sooo excited and my DH thought it was cool as well, especially since he doubted it would work in the 1st place. :) 

That is so cool! I have been experimenting with all kinds of things. I want to see what will sprout best for me and my climate, since every location is a little different. I hope you find your phone, I would love to see pics!

I'm growing fodder from barley and field peas. I was wondering how can I increase the yield per lb. I'm just getting 3 and a half lbs. from 1 lb. and I've read where people get 6 lbs and up. So I'm wondering how to increase my yield.

Thanks

Maybe you have a land line or a neighbor who would let you use their phone long enough to call your phone? That way you could find it... unless the battery has died.

Back
Top Bottom