Growing fodder for chickens

Hi all,

Just to add more to an already huge thread, here is the sprouter I just got and am using now to make my hen fodder:

You can order this from Jung's Seed Catalog here for $16.00: (http://www.jungseed.com/dp.asp?pID=54115) (three trays)

Or you can get it at Amazon here: (http://www.amazon.com/Victorio-VKP1014-4-Tray-Kitchen-Sprouter/dp/B005FVPP04/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1358016229&sr=8-4&keywords=victorio).

I got mine from Amazon, because for some reason the one at Jung's only has 3 trays, the Amazon one has 4, and it is $1.00 more.

I just started mine with buckwheat in the bottom, and alfalfa in the next two (that's all I had for seed.) The fourth tray I set aside to start in a week or so, that way it has continuous production.

It's pretty neat - you just have to rinse the seed, (no soaking needed according to directions), and put a layer of it in the tray, stack if you are doing more than one, and add water to the top tray, twice a day. It automatically drips through them all and the water collects in the bottom and you dump that water when you add more. When the seeds are not yet sprouted, more water stays behind in the trays which is why they say you do not need to soak the seeds first cuz they are kept uniformly damp.

Well I have just started my first batch in this contraption, but so far I like it way better than my previous homemade colander/tupperware arrangement! I will report back on here when the sprouts are ready and let you all know how well it worked...or not.

Originally Posted by windtryst

I
I have that sprouter! It works out great, I love it!

These look so much more neat and organized on the kitchen counter than my baskets or my jar turned up in a bowl. My jar method works great because it holds in a little moisture like these stackables do. For anyone that wants to grow sprouts in a jar, here is my recent post detailing my experimentation with this method. http://backyardchickenlady.blogspot.com/2013/06/experimenting-with-growing-chicken.html

I think I will order a set of these to use this fall when my grazing frames will not be producing any greens.

Side Note, the ones a JungSeed show 4 stacked, but apparently you only get three...read the fine print. The ones at Amazon are even cheaper and you get more! I love the free shipping at Amazon as well.

Has anyone here tried grazing frames? My chickens have destroyed half of the grass in my 25' x 25' pen. I am going to try a couple of grazing frames simply to protect the grass roots, so at least I will have fresh grass available periodically when I move the frame. I am feeding my birds fodder but they still beat up the grass in the pen.

Has anyone here tried grazing frames? My chickens have destroyed half of the grass in my 25' x 25' pen. I am going to try a couple of grazing frames simply to protect the grass roots, so at least I will have fresh grass available periodically when I move the frame. I am feeding my birds fodder but they still beat up the grass in the pen.

Yes and with great success! See my recent blog post about it: http://backyardchickenlady.blogspot.com/2013/06/making-grazing-frame-for-your-chickens.html

Since that post the grasses (pasture grass and wild bird seed) has grown up through the hardware cloth and my chickens keep it neatly mowed right at the hardware cloth level. Ever once in a while one of them will pull up a grass by the root and it is a big production as the other chase them around to get it. I think they think its a green worm or something. Anyway, they love it, graze on it at least three different times a day. They seem to really enjoy it and I love that they are getting healthy greens here in the high desert where we do have any other than what is under that grazing frame in the chicken run.

shegeekster and windtryst

I just received my Seed Sprouter trays from Amazon that I ordered only yesterday! Oh how I love Amazon Prime!

I have two trays with Wheat seeds already beginning to sprout from soaking last night. And one tray will hold my Alphalfa sprouts that I am soaking right now. I will use the other trays over the next few days so I can stagger my seeds to have a steady supply.

I am not sprouting catnip, it is just sitting on that counter...hmmm, maybe I should sprout some catnip...my kitties would love it I am sure. They act like freaked out hippies when I spread that stuff on their cat condo.

Anyone wanting a Seed Sprouter set can find them here at Amazon for less than $16 with Free Shipping here: (http://www.amazon.com/Victorio-VKP1014-4-Tray-Kitchen-Sprouter/dp/B005FVPP04/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1358016229&sr=8-4&keywords=victorio).

This is what I use for my small flock. I only bother in the winter, as the rest of the time, I have plenty of greens from my garden for them. I order 5 lbs. of organic wheat from Amazon as well. My Flemmish Giant loves the greens in the winter too!

This is what I use for my small flock. I only bother in the winter, as the rest of the time, I have plenty of greens from my garden for them. I order 5 lbs. of organic wheat from Amazon as well. My Flemmish Giant loves the greens in the winter too!

I plan to ramp up my production in the winter...just experimenting with it right now. I may have to order more of these trays to keep enough going in the winter though.

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. I have two frames built and just have to get the hardware cloth on them this weekend. I put my chickens inside the barn and replanted the chicken pasture, so once I get these frames done I will let the girls back out. At least there will be some grass they cant destroy!

Back
Top Bottom