Growing fodder for chickens

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. I have two frames built and just have to get the hardware cloth on them this weekend. I put my chickens inside the barn and replanted the chicken pasture, so once I get these frames done I will let the girls back out. At least there will be some grass they cant destroy!

With the warmer weather, I have been getting some mold. I started using bleach, 1T per gallon of water, but noticed that my germination rate seemed to go down. I also read on this thread that some only water their fodder once per day, so I am trying that now. It seems to be helping to reduce the mold issue and I have gone back to just water with no bleach............................On a different note, does anyone know the amount of pasture (spare feet) suggested for pasturing chickens? Mine are killing most of the grass in their outdoor pen.

Thanks for the reply. I have two frames built and just have to get the hardware cloth on them this weekend. I put my chickens inside the barn and replanted the chicken pasture, so once I get these frames done I will let the girls back out. At least there will be some grass they cant destroy!

My chicks keep it nicely mowed. I know it would all be gone by now if they could get to the roots. The greenery looks pretty in their run too.

With the warmer weather, I have been getting some mold. I started using bleach, 1T per gallon of water, but noticed that my germination rate seemed to go down. I also read on this thread that some only water their fodder once per day, so I am trying that now. It seems to be helping to reduce the mold issue and I have gone back to just water with no bleach............................On a different note, does anyone know the amount of pasture (spare feet) suggested for pasturing chickens? Mine are killing most of the grass in their outdoor pen.

I thought the bleach water was only used in the original soak, not daily watering. Mine still needs watered more often than once a day to keep it from drying out. Maybe using more water for the rinses would help with mold...to sort of wash away premold spores? I am not sure about that, but I found it works better if I rinse with lots of water each time. i don't let the sprouts sit in water, just run lots of water over it with good drainage. I don't have any mold, knock on wood.

I discontinued using a weak bleach solution on my growing fodder and have gone to watering once a day (for now). ............

I believe the holes in my trays need to be drilled bigger......I just haven't had time. I am taking the trays to the kitchen sink and flooding the tray.......................

.........After 5 to 10 minutes I tip them to drain off the excess and stick them back in my shelf tower (I built the wooden rack that is on this thread that hold the plastic shelves from Wal-Mart) I am having much better success this way and no mold. I think once I have drilled the holes bigger in my trays that I can go back to watering them twice a day. The water was just draining too slowly................

While it was much more convenient to water the top tray and let it drip down, it just doesn't get the lower trays evenly wet which causes problems. I can see why the trays that are tipped with holes in just one end work better. The water has to flow through all of the grain to get to the other end.

A reference to a website or book that could help me sort out what grains can be sprouted successfully would be much appreciated. I have access to brewery waste, about 130 gallons of spent barley and hops. As a result I want to sprout grains that will nutritionally compliment the barley and hops. I will be feeding chickens/ducks, sheep, goats, doves, and rabbits. I have access to most grains, I just am reluctant to venture into buying seeds when I could potentially be throwing my money into the wind.
There are an awful lot of references out there and most recommend barley as the grain of choice but again, got a lot of barley already!

Karen
Still pondering how to effectively search this forum

Sueblack I think every location is going to require different watering depending on the temperatures and humidity. We are so dry here in az that I don't get mold in the summer time. All we can do is keep experimenting till we find what works best for us. :)

A reference to a website or book that could help me sort out what grains can be sprouted successfully would be much appreciated. I have access to brewery waste, about 130 gallons of spent barley and hops. As a result I want to sprout grains that will nutritionally compliment the barley and hops. I will be feeding chickens/ducks, sheep, goats, doves, and rabbits. I have access to most grains, I just am reluctant to venture into buying seeds when I could potentially be throwing my money into the wind.
There are an awful lot of references out there and most recommend barley as the grain of choice but again, got a lot of barley already!

Karen
Still pondering how to effectively search this forum

Karen I don't know of any complete all in one resource for this information, I have just been reading every thing I can find on blogs and forums like this one. I had no idea you could use spent barley from a brewery...I just assumed it would be alcohol filled and not suitable for feeding to chickens. Hmmm, I am going to have to do some research on that because there are brewerys everywhere here and that would be an awesome source for free feed.

If you do find a single source for the information you seek, please share it here :)

PS, I am from Marysville, just a hop, skip, and a jump from Oroville :)

Back
Top Bottom