Growing fodder for chickens

Pics
pop.gif

I have not gotten through this entire thread so you may have already answered this....

But I am wondering where I go to buy these grains in bulk.

I am really into this!

I have not gotten through this entire thread so you may have already answered this....

But I am wondering where I go to buy these grains in bulk.

I am really into this!
I buy mine at the feed store or tractor supply, same place you buy your chicken food should sell bagged grains too. I think some people who have a few chickens are getting grains at the grocery store, but that is a more expensive option.

I'm about 5 days in and my barley and boss have about half inch shoots. I put in about 2 pounds total into a short sized tote and drilled holes in the bottom and let that short tote sit into a large sized tote to catch the drainage. I've been keeping it in the garage, where the day temps have been between 40-50 degrees, so i assume that's why I'm having slower growth compared to most. So last night I decided to see what would happen if I bring them into the house where it's in the 60's. Well this morning I noticed about a quarter size mold grown. So i placed the tray back into the colder temps to try and stop the mold. What would you guys suggest I do about this mold? My only thought was to place them into the cold to slow it down, was this the best plan of action? I probably have about 5-7 more days before the tray gets fed to the flock.

btw, Awesome thread!!!!

My new wheat is going to town!
Wow, have a lot of old wheat down stairs to get rid of! Wound not have known that it was not any good unless I had come across this thread. We need more wheat in our storage now. It was good to find out that what we needed to replace it. We won't need as much now, all of the kids are gone. Just the two of us. :)

I'm about 5 days in and my barley and boss have about half inch shoots. I put in about 2 pounds total into a short sized tote and drilled holes in the bottom and let that short tote sit into a large sized tote to catch the drainage. I've been keeping it in the garage, where the day temps have been between 40-50 degrees, so i assume that's why I'm having slower growth compared to most. So last night I decided to see what would happen if I bring them into the house where it's in the 60's. Well this morning I noticed about a quarter size mold grown. So i placed the tray back into the colder temps to try and stop the mold. What would you guys suggest I do about this mold? My only thought was to place them into the cold to slow it down, was this the best plan of action? I probably have about 5-7 more days before the tray gets fed to the flock.

btw, Awesome thread!!!!
How thick is your seed layer and what is your watering schedule? Old seed or new?

I read about half of this thread, and will continue reading, but need to ask before I forget- does anyone know the nutrition content of 7 day old wheat and barley?

Hey all. I just discovered this thread, just in the nick of time!

I'm in a little different situation. I have chickens and turkeys too, and I would like to feed them fodder. My big problem is that I raise hair sheep, and hay in my area has gotten rediculously expensive. It's currently going for $15 a bale, and I feed about a bale a day. Being on fixed income, that is MAJOR expense, and the expectation is that the prices will only get higher! I've sold some, will probably sell more, and butcher some. But I have to find a way to feed them that I can afford!

My questions are, how much should figure on feeding per animal? My ewes weigh about 125 to150, while my ram weighs in at 200. Secondly, do they need anything else, like hay, for motility or nutrition?

Everybody elses great posts have answered all my questions about poultry, but if anyone knows about ruminants, I could sure use the advice. Thanks.

~S
Well, I'm not a lot of help but a 1000lb horse should be fed 20lbs/day. Our dairy goats ate about one bale of hay a week per goat, so I guess we were feeding them about 8-10lbs a day per goat?

Last edited:
Hummmmm, wondering if there is anyway to "tweek" for the oats, seems like such a great pay off if it can be figured out.
From my understanding of what I read, those oats in the comparison were NOT sprouted, which changes things considerably.

Back
Top Bottom