1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Growing fodder for chickens

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by pawtraitart, Oct 3, 2012.

1. kreagerm

kreagerm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2012

I water them them twice a day. The seeds were just purchased from the feed store. The layer was about 1 inch or less but now it's about 3 inches deep, and the tray is getting heavy.

2. LeslieDJoyce

LeslieDJoyce Overrun With Chickens

Jul 30, 2012
    Sherwood, OR
    My Coop
    I spent a lot of time looking at YouTube's vast collection of fodder videos, and though not one of them I have watched detailed how deep to layer the seed, it *appears* the big commercial systems layer seed about 1/2 inch deep. Sometimes this seed goes in dry, sometimes soaked, and of course that is going to make a *big* difference, too -- seed swells quite a bit after soaking. Sigh.

3. LeslieDJoyce

LeslieDJoyce Overrun With Chickens

Jul 30, 2012
    Sherwood, OR
    My Coop
    Here is one super cute video of a clever chicken-feed sprouting system. It really made me smile!

LOTS of other sprouting videos on YouTube for visual learners.

4. pawtraitart

pawtraitart Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2007
    Idaho
    I would put some bleach in your initial soak bucket and go with a seed layer of around 1/2" when you spread them in your trays/totes. When you rinse them, the water should run clear. If it's cloudy, then keep rinsing until you get all the starch out.

5. doggielove

doggielove Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2012
    Maine
    Quote: What section in Walmart would you find the buckets of wheat grain? Thanks.

6. pawtraitart

May 30, 2007
    Idaho
    In my Walmart, it's in the emergency food preparation section. If your store doesn't have it, Walmart has a good store transfer system so they could perhaps get it sent to your local store for pickup. You could also try asking a regular grocery store if they could order you a bag of whole bread making wheat. It would come in a burlap type bag. I can't verify quality in getting it that way, but it should work. The cheapest is feed wheat but it's not always available whole.

1 person likes this.
  7. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    On planting seeds, any seeds.

Seed planting 101 --
    The recommended depth for planting seeds is 1-1/2 times the size of the seed.

So that means a pea seed would be planted at or around 3/4 to 1 inch deep.
    Now a seed the size of a millet or milo seed would be planted at or around 3/16 of a inch.

Chris

Last edited: Nov 4, 2012
  8. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Seed planting depth has nothing to do with watering method, seed depth depends on the size of the seed.
    You don't plant millet at the same depth as peas or corn.

Chris

9. pawtraitart

May 30, 2007
    Idaho
    The fodder method we are talking about is based on a wheat or barley base which are about the same size. No doubt if you are using a larger percentage of seed other than wheat or barley you would have to make adjustments accordingly.

10. greenhorn

greenhorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    Millington, MI
    Hows does depth apply when there is no soil or medium involved? This is more of a thickness issue.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by