Growing fodder for chickens

Yes it's draining pretty well. Would you still recommend a fan even if I have it outside? That should be good air flow, shouldn't it?
How much light does it have and what temperature are you at?
It has a good amount of light ( a little direct sunlight but not much - maybe a couple hours) and right now our highs are 60 and lows are around 42.

I grow all my grain to fodder stage - I have a fodder unit and it's used to feed pretty much everything on the property. Horses, cows, sheep, geese and of course chickens! They all get the same mix - 1 flat or biscut starts out as 1.1kg barley, 1 cup of lupin and 1 tablespoon of chia. Grows into between 9 and 10 kg of feed. The chickens get 1 biscut between them and free range for 2 to 3 hours daily (I'm in Australia so don't have the cold/snow problem). I only supplement with grain or dry feed if I can't let them out. Currently I have 14 chickens.

Nope. I don't sprout beans. I cook them and run them through a grater.

Black beans are not toxic? They sprout ok and are liked by your birds? Do you grow those to fodder stage?

I've fed them cooked beans often enough but never run them through a grater. Why do you do that?

From what I've read black beans are ok to sprout and consume. They say for people they are not palatable past just barely sprouted but for my chickens they've eaten it all up.

I run them through a grater just to make sure that all the chickens get some. They're not very good at sharing!
roll.png

It has a good amount of light ( a little direct sunlight but not much - maybe a couple hours) and right now our highs are 60 and lows are around 42.

Ideally needs to be warmer. The optimum temperature for most grain growth is greater than 20C (68F), mould will grow at much lower temps.If you can create a mini cold frame over your trays you will probably have more success. Some mould is not a problem but anything green or blue needs to be thrown out.

The mould that appears to be grey wispy spider webs or as a soft grey cloud (for want of a better description) is what naturally occurs in pasture - it is almost impossible to get rid of. If you treat with chlorine you can reduce the number of spores - but this often burns the sprouts as they form and you end up with poor or no growth.

I've fed them cooked beans often enough but never run them through a grater. Why do you do that?

From what I've read black beans are ok to sprout and consume. They say for people they are not palatable past just barely sprouted but for my chickens they've eaten it all up.

oh yeah, and they say beans and rice make a complete protein but ... not sure I've really seen the numbers to believe it (yet).

Me? Or someone else?

I use these: They are A LOT cheaper from Costco.

http://www.target.com/p/sterilite-6...-set-of-12/-/A-11861799#?lnk=sc_qi_detaillink

I drilled small holes in the bottom along one end and keep them at a slight angle so they drain well. They are pretty thick and sturdy.
I did something just like this but with "disposable" tupper wear containers. I tended to get mold in them (I'm sure it depends on climate)... not serious it washed away with each rinse... I find with the needlepoint type basket I don't get mold unless there is something covering the top of the tray.

I did something just like this but with "disposable" tupper wear containers. I tended to get mold in them (I'm sure it depends on climate)... not serious it washed away with each rinse... I find with the needlepoint type basket I don't get mold unless there is something covering the top of the tray.

Thats a good point. It is very dry where I live so I have not had any mold issues - but I think I am just lucky with my climate on that.

Back
Top Bottom