Growing fodder for chickens

I have been trying to grow fodder for the past 6 months. I'm using pigeon teen because of the whole seeds included in the mix. On my first try after the first steps of soaking then sprouting the seeds the wild chickens that roam our farm invaded the new grow trays and ate most of the sprouts. I'm trying again and using wheat. I have a designated area now so no one has access to the sprout trays but us humans. My intention is economic and for the health of my animals. I am intending to feed the fodder to my goats, sheep and poultry. Results to follow..

Someone was asking about blue eggs, my hubby is wanting also, mypetchicken.com you can order eggs and older, availability is also listed.

I'm still a little confused on what happens.

So you soak the seeds for __ hrs?
Then you drain the seeds and just put them all together in a container, no soil?
They just grow in a tangle of roots for 6-8 days, then you feed them to you chickens?

Last edited:
Thank you so much, I am soo excited I can't wait to start. My girls are going to be so surprised. I'm over here beside myself.

I'm still a little confused on what happens.

So you soak the seeds for __ hrs?
Then you drain the seeds and just put them all together in a container, no soil?
They just grow in a tangle of roots for 6-8 days, then you feed them to you chickens?

I vote 24 hours rinse and refill at 12 but people do less.

I drain them rinse well and keep drained in basically a plastic basket and rinse twice per day keeping uncovered and well drained but there are many ways and many feed grain and legume combinations.

Back
Top Bottom