Growing fodder for chickens

The BOSS do they have she'll on to make the fodder? I am sorry bit I am not clear on this portion
I throw BOSS right in with the barley seed when it is soaking for 12 hours. Shell and all, it will sprout
smile.png

Couple of questions--how much seed do you need per flat? Pounds? Cups?

I know I would use this fodder to supplement the standard (organic) feed I give my hens. Any recommendations about how many chickens per flat of sprouts?
I use about five cups of barley type seed per 1020 tray flat or roughly 2-3 lbs. I feed 13 chickens one flat, 11 pullets and 2 cockerels
smile.png

Thank you, wanted to be sure as I can get a decent supply at wal mart here. Not sure where to get other stuff, but I will, my girls will love it I know they will.

Thank you, wanted to be sure as I can get a decent supply at wal mart here. Not sure where to get other stuff, but I will, my girls will love it I know they will.
If you have access to any "feed" type stores like Rural King, Tractor supply, or even pet supply stores, (we have Soldans here in mid Michigan) you can get 50# bags of BOSS. I got a 50# from Soldan's for $15.00 and it has lasted the year for my flock so far. I keep it in my pantry with the bag of Valor winter barley seed.

But, you can also find smaller bags of BOSS in the bird seed isles. You can use any container, including bowls and a strainer to soak and drain the seeds. The biggest challenge seems to be mold, but so far I have not had that problem.

I just found this post and thought it would be interesting to try. I want to start simple, get the hang of it and then build up from there. I have a area that is always in the 60s and has lots of light. What I was wondering was where is the best and cheapest place to get wheat, barley and lental seeds? We are trying to keep it a cheap as possible so the cheaper the better.
It is so easy and does not take a lot of time/money investment.

I googled the type of seed you want to buy, but if you live near any agricultural area, you can call the grain elevator to see what they may have available. I special ordered the "Valor" winter barley seed from a farm supply about 50 miles away from Lansing because I have a coworker that has family they visit in that town. They offered to pick it up for me and bring it to my work.

So, for mid Michigan or Michigan I googled "barley seed for sale michigan" and looked for companies, stores, grain elevators...whatever came up and ended up finding a farm supply store that could special order for $18.00 a bushel (roughly 50 lbs of seed).

I think every person portion and ratio and going to be a little different depending on your set up and what else you feeding and your goals. I do .3 lbs of wheat barley and BOSS for 6 birds a day. I would just start experience and then adjust to the amount that works for you.

Last edited:
Mine looks a lot like all of yours... but I am having a problem... help!

I have large tubes almost identical to those black ones people are using. Drilled *a lot* of holes in the bottom, no water stays, starts sprouting and by the time it is reading to take out and feed the bottom has black mold! Just little tiny spots all over it.

Always! I can't get it *not* to and I wont feed it to them this way.

What's going on? Water drainage is great... there is no pooling when I water them.

Back
Top Bottom