Growing fodder for chickens

H2O2 would be better than bleach and non toxic.
And, possibly putting more holes in the bottom of the containers for better drainage. Our containers are 10.5" x 14" and we have around 250 holes in the bottom for drainage. Just a thought.

After giving this long debate and lots of research, and since spring just doesn't seem like its coming this year, I'm going to try this out. After your seeds are soaked and ready to set, how think of a layer of seed do you put on your trays?

After giving this long debate and lots of research, and since spring just doesn't seem like its coming this year, I'm going to try this out. After your seeds are soaked and ready to set, how think of a layer of seed do you put on your trays?
I usually start out with about 1/4 inch. The secret is having plenty of drainage holes so that the water thoroughly drains out. And, when you rinse, the first few days before the root mat develops, be gently so the least amount of disturbance to the seeds as possible. Once the root mat is firmly in place than you can dose them good and proper.

I usually start out with about 1/4 inch. The secret is having plenty of drainage holes so that the water thoroughly drains out. And, when you rinse, the first few days before the root mat develops, be gently so the least amount of disturbance to the seeds as possible. Once the root mat is firmly in place than you can dose them good and proper.

Awesome thanks! At what age can you start feeding sprouted grains? I have a bunch of 1-2 month old birds that are going to be able to go outside fairly soon. Is it ok to feed to them?

Awesome thanks! At what age can you start feeding sprouted grains? I have a bunch of 1-2 month old birds that are going to be able to go outside fairly soon. Is it ok to feed to them?
I start giving our chicks sprouts (fodder) when they are a couple of days old. The fodder is usually about 3 inches long; I cut it into 1/8" lengths; fodder as well as the root mat. We have 8 chicks that will be 1 month old on the 9th of this month and they already eat 1/2" long fodder and clover. But they have been eating regular size meal worms since they were 2 days old, too. They are headed outside tomorrow, too.

Well I soaked it last night for about 12 hours. I'll rinse it this morning and see how it goes. If it doesn't work I guess I'll fill up the bird feeders.
1f606.png

Paul

Well my seeds sprouted but I ended up with mold before they where fully grown. I did however have them sitting on the counter above the dishwasher, in retrospect I'm thinking that was giving them a steam bath every night when we started the dishes.
he.gif

I'm trying again this week with half the seeds, washing the seeds in a 10% bleach solution before soaking and placing them away from the dishwasher.

Paul

Last edited:
Im just looking into this, why do you feed them fodder? Does it take place of pellets? Is it any different than them just eating the grass and weeds from the yard?

I thought I was already following this thread lol definitely one of my goals for this year! Can't wait to learn!

Well my seeds sprouted but I ended up with mold before they where fully grown. I did however have them sitting on the counter above the dishwasher, in retrospect I'm thinking that was giving them a steam bath every night when we started the dishes.
he.gif

I'm trying again this week with half the seeds, washing the seeds in a 10% bleach solution before soaking and placing them away from the dishwasher.

Paul

You might try skipping the bleach and simply finding a cooler place to grow it.

Back
Top Bottom