Growing fodder for chickens

So I have this question. After reading thru this thread and countless hours of searching for info on the how and why for fodder... if your rinsing to get the starch out so it doesn't get slimy and moldy, why would you have a flood and drain. Dumping the starch and slime in the tray below, and the next and the next..... that is just dumping what you want out in the next tray.

Wouldn't it be better to have gutters and use new water each time....
That is true, if you have a stacked system, running water long enough, will allow all the trays below to be sufficiently washed. I, for myself, rinse each tray separate.

So not trying to be too cheap (and im on a well) but running longer is just wasting water right?
So if your one trying this to be more self sufficrnt and a better stuard for your flock and the earth the gutter is the way to go?
please dont think im trying to be some super tree hugger ( no offense if you hug trees)but im trying to utilize all aspecte that are natural and on hand without wasting .

So not trying to be too cheap (and im on a well) but running longer is just wasting water right?
So if your one trying this to be more self sufficrnt and a better stuard for your flock and the earth the gutter is the way to go?
please dont think im trying to be some super tree hugger ( no offense if you hug trees)but im trying to utilize all aspecte that are natural and on hand without wasting .
You just set it up the way that works best for you! I too had to deal with well and drought, back when we got chickens in 2011.
As for the rinsing process....fill up a plastic tub, with water.....put the seeds in a mesh bag to soak, then pull it out and drain it. Just reuse the same water for a few days, then use it on your container plants or garden plants. No water wasted then.

You just set it up the way that works best for you!  I too had to deal with well and drought, back when we got chickens in 2011.  
As for the rinsing process....fill up a plastic tub, with water.....put the seeds in a mesh bag to soak, then pull it out and drain it.  Just reuse the same water for a few days, then use it on your container plants or garden plants.  No water wasted then.

My rinse water goes on my trees that would need to be watered anyway. I don't have an extravagant system by any means, 7 dish pans, so I'm not using much water with twice daily dampening. I had to tweak my system to be practical and it does seem to be working nicely after a bit of trial and error.
Definitely do what you must to conserve resources! Definitely tweak things to work the best for you! If you are in danger of running your well dry, stop!! Fodder is great but no water is bad.

Oh, and I've had zero luck with a gutter in my part of california. Needed too much water, didn't have the time, etc. just my experience.

My confusion, I thought you meant using a gutter as your container for sprouting as opposed to modified bookshelves or dish pans or whatnot. A gutter to transport water should do fine.

I live in Australia in a rather arid area so these tips are of particular interest to me. I am extra lucky because my partner works at the local grain storage and they are happy for me to take a bucket of grain...mostly the spilt grain that would be dumped anyway. The variety of wheat and barley grown here are especially drought tolerant and don't need as much watering to sprout as some other varieties.

So I have this question. After reading thru this thread and countless hours of searching for info on the how and why for fodder... if your rinsing to get the starch out so it doesn't get slimy and moldy, why would you have a flood and drain. Dumping the starch and slime in the tray below, and the next and the next..... that is just dumping what you want out in the next tray.

Wouldn't it be better to have gutters and use new water each time....

Any answer? I saved the water from the soak, planned on using it over again ( California drought).

I have another question. I am getting a lot of un-sprouted seed in the bottom. I am watering 2-3 Times a day, 1/2 in seed depth,a lot of he's in the trays.

Anyone have had this issue? And how do you fix this?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom