Growing fodder for chickens

I just bought 50# bags of whole wheat and whole barley from local feed store nearby in Calif and they had to order them in...total cost was around $28. I started the wheat 2 day's ago and I have pretty good germination the barley is next
1f600.png

Last edited:
Just started a mini fodder system. I'm using barley, which seems to be a popular grain based on all the research I've done. Hoping my flock loves it & it adds a little more zest/enrichment. Does anyone make their own feed? I've seen videos online about mixing different amounts of different things & making sure your protein is at a minimum of 16% for laying hens...any feedback would be awesome!!!

Just started a mini fodder system. I'm using barley, which seems to be a popular grain based on all the research I've done. Hoping my flock loves it & it adds a little more zest/enrichment. Does anyone make their own feed? I've seen videos online about mixing different amounts of different things & making sure your protein is at a minimum of 16% for laying hens...any feedback would be awesome!!!
how big are your trays? Where did you get the rack?

Last edited:
Does anyone know where I can buy fodder seed in large bags without paying twice the cost in shipping?
Try looking at Local Harvest http://www.localharvest.org/
On the top menu, click on Farms
In the "More on Family Farms" box, click on "Farm Products"
Scroll down to "Grains" and click on the grain you are interested in (example wheat)
You will be taken to a page about wheat
In the "Find Wheat ( whatever grain you clicked on, the name will be there)" box, enter your zip code to find farms in your area with wheat (or whatever)
Click on the farm name to go to their information
The farm contact info in on the right

If you have artisan bakeries around you, you might check and see if they grind their own flour, if so, they might have access to whole grains that you may be able to get when they place an order and therefore avoid a large shipping charge. Grains meant for human consumption are pricier but there is no waste with them.

I sprout the black oil sunflower seeds (with the shell on) that are sold for feeding wild birds at any home improvement box store, hardware store or feed store. They are relatively inexpensive if you want for sales.

Try looking at Local Harvest   http://www.localharvest.org/
Scroll down to "Grains" and click on the grain you are interested in (example wheat)
In the "Find Wheat ( whatever grain you clicked on, the name will be there)" box, enter your zip code to find farms in your area with wheat (or whatever)

If you have artisan bakeries around you, you might check and see if they grind their own flour, if so, they might have access to whole grains that you may be able to get when they place an order and therefore avoid a large shipping charge. Grains meant for human consumption are pricier but there is no waste with them.

I sprout the black oil sunflower seeds (with the shell on) that are sold for feeding wild birds at any home improvement box store, hardware store or feed store. They are relatively inexpensive if you want for sales.

Thank you for the info. I'll definitely check it out.

Do you find that there is enough protein in the sunflower seed for them?

My flock free ranges year around, even in the cold...thought they don't like to walk in snow...even an inch or so of it!
I feed sprouts/fodder in the winter when they can't get out and find things for themselves.
I think the BOSS, alternated with other sprouted grains, is great for what I want for my flock.
I don't use it for a complete feed for them.

Try looking at Local Harvest   http://www.localharvest.org/

Thanks for this! I found navigating the page without your instructions cumbersome. This is a great resource!

Back
Top Bottom