Growing fodder for chickens

Hi TikiRoost6,
I found a fella that used to make feed commercially and I've been using his formulae for about 18 months. It's a bit cheeper and I can recognize whats in it, unlike the commercial stuff in the feed stores around here.
http://eco-ranch.us/page3.htm
is the chicken part of his site. I think he may have a YouTube of his...oh here it is...hmm warning it's long 30 minutes

I like growing fodder and making my own feed.
You milage may very ;o)
Greg

So we've been hearing a lot about fodder and wanted to give it a try. I bought this on Amazon (picture 1) for $18. Then my husband invented this (picture 2) for $5. Hope it works we'll because the price is right.

I'm just getting ready to start my own system and now I'm waiting for my seeds to come in...I'd like to give my girls some barley as a treat till I get mine up and going ,I've heard not to give raw barley so if I wanted to cook them how long and has anyone here done that before. It's cold and wet here thought it would be a nice warm treat.

I just bought 50# bags of whole wheat and whole barley from local feed store nearby in Calif and they had to order them in...total cost was around $28. I started the wheat 2 day's ago and I have pretty good germination the barley is next
1f600.png

Have you had any issues with your barley? I bought a 50lb bag of whole barley from a mill. Put it in to soak last night and noticed this morning it had patches of white mold. Have you had this issue? Can ya just fish out the mold and sprout it?

Lol it might have started to ferment. Is it hot and humid where you are? I would simply rinse rinse rinse and try and sprout it. I don't think the white stuff is necessarily harmful...others may disagree....and when soaking try a shorter time (8 hours?) and/or a cooler spot...?

Lol it might have started to ferment. Is it hot and humid where you are? I would simply rinse rinse rinse and try and sprout it. I don't think the white stuff is necessarily harmful...others may disagree....and when soaking try a shorter time (8 hours?) and/or a cooler spot...?

It's mid 70's during the day and 60 at night. Humidity isn't to bad. Thanks for the info

Back
Top Bottom