Growing fodder for chickens

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by pawtraitart, Oct 3, 2012.

1. mobius

mobius Chillin' With My Peeps

I rinse my seeds morning and evenng if tht helps

2. MigraineMan

MigraineMan Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2017
    Frederick, Maryland
    Moar barley sprouts! The first photo is from Day 3. The one tray went to the chickens on Day 5 (yesterday.) The photo of the tall greens is from Day 6 (today) That tray will go out in the run tomorrow morning.

As noted earlier, the chickens will give the mat many scratches and tosses in an effort to get the remaining seeds first. But they will ultimately devour the whole thing in a few hours. barley_11_3d.JPG barley_12_6d.JPG

NorthTexasWink and mobius like this.
  3. Kimberly's chicks

Kimberly's chicks New Egg

Jun 5, 2017
    I am going to start making fodder year round its a little treat in summer and spring months. I will use Milo wheat barley and beans

4. AUtiger

AUtiger Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2013
    East Tennessee
    I just started this today. Soaked some wheat, sorghum, millet, corn, sunflower seeds, lentils, and quinoa. Drained and placed it across the top and bottom of a 24 count Costco clear egg container in a sheet pan (poked holes in bottom of egg container). Put another clear egg container on top (snapped right on!) I will update on how it works over the next few days.
    And yes, I have to BUY eggs from Costco, my ladies are still not laying yet!
    1168302583697790849-account_id=3.jpg 2744940364364522699-account_id=3.jpg

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by