Growing fodder for chickens

I had a mold issue starting on the one tray that had seeds soaked in plain water with no added bleach. 2 gallons of rise water with about 1/4 cup bleach per gallon solved the problem. Had another tray that was starting to ferment (literally could smell alcohol) used the same treatment. Instantly gone. I should add i do rinse away the bleach water remaining about an hour later with about 2 gallons of water. -MCF

Lace Blues, excuse me, you were not asking me if I only wanted the depth of the seeds to 1/2 inch. You were saying that the wet seeds should be about 1/2 inch deep.
I misread, excuse me.
Thank you,
mg
It looks like almost 1/2 inch deep but not quite. Actually, I thought 6 cups of wheat berries was alot.

If they are soaked (24 hours) already that will work fine. If you haven't soaked them yet, they'll expand some and you want the soaked seeds to be 1/2 inch deep.

How much seed are you using for each of your black grow flats? Trying to determine how much I should start out buying. The more the cheaper but buying too much and unable to keep til used isnt good either. Thank you for sharing all this information!

I currently use 3 cups of DRY seed per tray. The black trays are 14.5" x 18" that's 261 square inches. I'm using seed straight from the combine, so some of that volume gets skimmed off the top when I'm washing -- don't need the floaty bits of straw and stuff in the fodder. Of course I soak the seeds before I put them in the black trays, so they expand and weigh more ... I also pre-sprout them for a few days. Not all the seed sprouts at the same rate. Because the grid on the bottom of my black plastic trays is too big, I only transfer the well-sprouted seed into the tray, though sometimes I then top-dress that with the less-sprouted seed, or I just feed the less-sprouted seed to the chickens. It grows thicker if I top-dress the well-sprouted seed with the less-sprouted seed, but it is also slightly messier as some of the seeds fall out the bottom of the tray.

Everything works better in the clear plastic food-prep trays which are about the same total square inches but different dimensions. This is mostly because the holes are smaller so the seed doesn't fall out the bottom before it sprouts.

When I put the DRY seed in the trays (this only works with the clear plastic trays), the seed densely covers the bottom of the tray. After soaking, the seeds are bigger so the seed layer looks deeper.

I currently use 3 cups of DRY seed per tray. The black trays are 14.5" x 18" that's 261 square inches. I'm using seed straight from the combine, so some of that volume gets skimmed off the top when I'm washing -- don't need the floaty bits of straw and stuff in the fodder. Of course I soak the seeds before I put them in the black trays, so they expand and weigh more ... I also pre-sprout them for a few days. Not all the seed sprouts at the same rate. Because the grid on the bottom of my black plastic trays is too big, I only transfer the well-sprouted seed into the tray, though sometimes I then top-dress that with the less-sprouted seed, or I just feed the less-sprouted seed to the chickens. It grows thicker if I top-dress the well-sprouted seed with the less-sprouted seed, but it is also slightly messier as some of the seeds fall out the bottom of the tray.

Everything works better in the clear plastic food-prep trays which are about the same total square inches but different dimensions. This is mostly because the holes are smaller so the seed doesn't fall out the bottom before it sprouts.

When I put the DRY seed in the trays (this only works with the clear plastic trays), the seed densely covers the bottom of the tray. After soaking, the seeds are bigger so the seed layer looks deeper.
Can I ask how many birds you are feeding with your 261 square inches of fodder? I had read on her that the chickens should have 1 square inch apiece, but that seems to be such a small amount for a daily ration of feed. I have 35 chickens and am trying to grow fodder for them in small 8" x 8" and 8" x 12" pans - is that enough for the number of birds I have? Also how tall do you let the wheat grass get before you feed it to the birds? I have manage to get a 6 day rotation going but am finding that the grass is only about 3 inches tall when they get it.

If they are soaked (24 hours) already that will work fine. If you haven't soaked them yet, they'll expand some and you want the soaked seeds to be 1/2 inch deep.

Hi, this is 6 cups of wheat berries in the long tray you are talking about. It is too much.
Your suggestion of 3 cups would be sufficient.
I did soak them for 24 hours in a pan, and then transferred to the long black flat.
Thanks.
mg

Maybe just a little mg15. I'd start by reducing it to four cups and see how that goes. I can't really tell how big your tray is but I use 2 cups (dry measure) of grains in a foil pan that is about 9x12 and I let the fodder get at least 3 inches, sometimes around 4 or 5. I figure since they are not dry stiff grass stalks, that there shouldn't be any issues of crop binding. A lot of times, they pluck off part of it so they get shorter pieces too. I haven't had any issues yet so hopefully that length is ok.

Maybe just a little mg15. I'd start by reducing it to four cups and see how that goes. I can't really tell how big your tray is but I use 2 cups (dry measure) of grains in a foil pan that is about 9x12 and I let the fodder get at least 3 inches, sometimes around 4 or 5. I figure since they are not dry stiff grass stalks, that there shouldn't be any issues of crop binding. A lot of times, they pluck off part of it so they get shorter pieces too. I haven't had any issues yet so hopefully that length is ok.
The flat is 21 x 11 inches.
My question is: Why didn't the girls go nuts over these delicious looking spouts.????
I thought this was just as good as turkey burgers.
Any thoughts on this ?
mg

mg15, my flats are 9 x 22 inches. I feed half to 18 chickens.
I wonder if they just need to get used to it? Maybe sprinkle a favorite treat or scratch over it? Your sprouts did look very good!
smile.png

Editing to add: I weigh out my wheat seeds (no hulls on them). I use 1 lb. 5 ounces per flat.

My question is: Why didn't the girls go nuts over these delicious looking spouts.????
Any thoughts on this ?
mg

Last edited:
Any thoughts on this ?
mg

mg15, my flats are 9 x 22 inches. I feed half to 18 chickens.
I wonder if they just need to get used to it? Maybe sprinkle a favorite treat or scratch over it? Your sprouts did look very good!
smile.png

Editing to add: I weigh out my wheat seeds (no hulls on them). I use 1 lb. 5 ounces per flat.

I agree. It looks like you have grass growing at your home during warmer seasons? I think it probably is just a matter of familiarity with the fodder pads. My birds first looked at them like they were predators in disguise. But now, they devour them.

Back
Top Bottom