Growing fodder for chickens

Pics
Does anyone know if it's possible for wheat to grow in this same system to where you can harvest the seeds? Would save some money if yes. If no, how many square feet of soil would it take to grow 50 lbs of wheat.

I just did some research and answered my own question.

Wheat and barley take anywhere from 60-120 days to mature. If you planted 6 pounds of wheat on a 20X50' lot, you'd be able to harvest 50 pounds. After seeing this information I didn't even bother to research if wheat is able to mature in this sort of system. You would need maybe 1000 trays to be able to produce 50 pounds of wheat.

But then again they said they only planted 6 pounds of wheat. That's about 4 trays worth when I use 1.5 pounds per 20"X11" tray. If all of the seed sprouted and I let it mature(if that's possible in this system) then I should have 50 pounds of wheat within 3-4 months right?

What do you guys think?

Does anyone know if it's possible for wheat to grow in this same system to where you can harvest the seeds? Would save some money if yes. If no, how many square feet of soil would it take to grow 50 lbs of wheat.

Wheat and barley take anywhere from 60-120 days to mature. If you planted 6 pounds of wheat on a 20X50' lot, you'd be able to harvest 50 pounds. After seeing this information I didn't even bother to research if wheat is able to mature in this sort of system. You would need maybe 1000 trays to be able to produce 50 pounds of wheat.

But then again they said they only planted 6 pounds of wheat. That's about 4 trays worth when I use 1.5 pounds per 20"X11" tray. If all of the seed sprouted and I let it mature(if that's possible in this system) then I should have 50 pounds of wheat within 3-4 months right?

What do you guys think?

Thats good information. I wondered how much room I'd have to use to grow out some wheat, corn, barley, oats... etc.

I don't know whether they could make it to seed in a hydroponics tray. You can always try it. 6 pounds of wheat is a drop in the bucket from a 50 pound bag. Or just try one tray if you don't want to sacrifice 4 of them. Then you can let us all know how it went... problems you had along the way... etc.

What do you guys think?
This system relies on just water since its just the sprouting stage. Youd have to fertilize to get a mature plant

Front of shelving package.

Rear of shelving package.

One of the shelves before drilling.

Same shelf after drilling.

Frontal view of rack.

A little different angle.

Another front view.

A corner angle to see the front to rear bracing.

Opposite angle with one shelf partially slid into place.

Front view with all shelves in place.

Side view with all shelves in place.

Rear view with shelves in place.

NOTES:
Rear has 1x3's aligned with bottom of side 1x2's to keep shelf from sliding out the back.
Rear 1x3's have 2 screws on each end of each board, to help with bracing side to side, notice there is no diagonal brace on front or rear.
Most important: Due to using cheap, light weight 1x2's and 1x3's from lowes ALL holes in 1x's MUST BE PRE DRILLED to keep woof from splitting out.

List of materials.
2 - shelf systems @ 14.97 each
2 - 2x2's @ 1.99 ea
5 - 1x2 @ 0.97 ea
3 - 1x3 @ 1.47 ea
screws 1-5/8" long
4 - storage containers
1 for dipping the shelves into
2 for drainage when shelves come out of sub merging
1 for rack to sit in to catch any remaining drainage

Estimated total for this set up $100.00 most expense coming from storage containers.
Will build another come spring time.
Right now I have chickens in too different locations. When they finally get all together then I think I will need 2 trays per day.

Wow.. really like that!!

Thats good information. I wondered how much room I'd have to use to grow out some wheat, corn, barley, oats... etc.

I don't know whether they could make it to seed in a hydroponics tray. You can always try it. 6 pounds of wheat is a drop in the bucket from a 50 pound bag. Or just try one tray if you don't want to sacrifice 4 of them. Then you can let us all know how it went... problems you had along the way... etc.

I read an article once of a poor single mom turned urban farmer who grew food on her NYC roof ... she said she even grew the grains they ate.

Ive got my first test tray sliced up and out with the birds and goat now. First time ever seeing it and they went nuts for it! I almost thought my darling wife had forgotten to feed them... but nope all the feeders where they should be for this time of day. Ducks only ones giving me the what is this look lol

That's interesting too. I'd like to be able to grow enough grains for my birds. I don't know how much I'm into grinding wheat for my own flour... though I know it can be done. Something to consider for sure... looking at the way things are going.
I have a whispermill that is slick to use for grinding grain. I have made rice flour (for my gluten-free nephew) by just grinding rice in it. I've made cornmeal for cornbread by just grinding popcorn. And I've made whole wheat flour by just grinding wheat berries. It has served me well and is still going strong. I got it about 12 years ago.

With the snow falling outside, I was wishing I had my fodder going, but I haven't buttoned up the other fall stuff, yet, so they're still eating some of the garden left-overs....  BUT, I did get some meal-worm starter today for my own meal-worm farm, so that should be helpful, also...

Meal worm growing? I've got to check into this.

You can find organic GMO's in bulk and organic heirlooms in small amounts. I have been researching and if you want to grow heirloom or ancient wheat, barley, rye etc. you will have to buy a small amount of seed and grow it out yourself. This will take a couple years of growing and seed collecting before you will have enough seed to plant an actual crop.

We plan to buy the available organic seed for growing fodder. Once we have enough of our own heirloom grain seed saved up we will start growing from our own seed. This thread has really helped evolve my views on feeding livestock and enlightened me about the current situation that our "seed bank" is in. This research also enlightened me about the state of food that is available for human consumption and it's not pretty. I think it's a great idea to grow our own wheat as everything available is GMO or unhealthy hybrids that cause various arthritis and other health issues.

If interested in growing ancient or heirloom grains here are some links you may find useful:

http://www.growseed.org/

http://www.ancientcerealgrains.org/

http://www.prseeds.ca

http://www.sustainableseedco.com

Great links. Thanks for the info.

This thread is awesome!

Back
Top Bottom