Growing fodder for chickens

Hey Tyler,

After using the barley from countryside for 2 wks now, I am not so pleased, I am getting poor germination and it is little bit dirtier than the barley I was getting from Southern States. I thought it was due to colder temps but after I raised them this past week I'm still not getting great results. I'm going to call around and look to try another seed distributor. Anyway if you still want to try it I was getting it from Lost Corner Farm. http://lostcornerfarm.com/products/

I'll let you know when I find another supplier and my results.

Take care,
Jeff

I will let you know if I get different results with the barley from countryside organics. Keep me updated if you find a new provider and I'll do the same

The barley had a noticable amount of corn, soy and leaves from trees. Do not buy crom countryside organics. I'm still gping forward and will let you know what happens

I love a project in the winter. The kids and I got so excited to start growing fodder. I went and found a store to buy wheat by the pound, bought 6 to start and went right home and got it soaking.
ONLY THEN did I do more reading.....face palm! :rolleyes:
So now I have a BUNCH of bins that will all be ready the at the same time :(
I think I was treating like a garden instead of a rotating system, what a goofball I am!

Oh well, we're still having fun and we'll learn the hard way. That seems to be my preference anyway.

I love a project in the winter. The kids and I got so excited to start growing fodder. I went and found a store to buy wheat by the pound, bought 6 to start and went right home and got it soaking.
ONLY THEN did I do more reading.....face palm!
roll.png

So now I have a BUNCH of bins that will all be ready the at the same time
sad.png

I think I was treating like a garden instead of a rotating system, what a goofball I am!

Oh well, we're still having fun and we'll learn the hard way. That seems to be my preference anyway.
big_smile.png
Love the "face palm" comment! I wish they had an emoticon for that. You'll do fine and your chickies will love all the fodder. :) If it dries out, it doubles as bedding!

No dirt needed.

Does anyone know where i can get wheat, barley or Boss seed either online or near washington DC?

Under $30 for a 50 lb bag of organic seed would be great. I can only use Organic seeds.

Thanks,

Tyler

I buy 50 lb bags of organic wheat from Coyote Creek Mill in TX for $22. Search online for organic mills in your state. I buy direct from the mill instead of through a retailer.

hello everyone!!

Thank you for all your suggestions and information on this post. Made me able to search the department store with a (at least vague) idea of what I wanted. So many of you shared your ideas... i thought I would show you what I came up with.

I got the standing unit at K-Mart. I am sure Wal-mart or the like has something similar. Was a bit more expensive than the one on Amazon, but I didn't think 6 inch trays were big enough.

My DH and i flipped the "cabinet" over upsides down, and used the frame of it as a guide to drill drain holes through the bottom of the trays. That way the drainage doesn't drip in the "innards" , and go where it isn't supposed to (like the floor!) and will go to the drawer underneath.

I normally keep it on the counter so its next to the sprayer, but it is easily moved to the laundry room when we have company over.

I didn't put holes in the bottom one. It acts like a water catcher and I use it for soaking.

I really like the ease of it. for the most part, I do it everyday, however, you'll notice its only has 6 drawers. I end up soaking in a bowl once a week or so... or a day gets skipped here and there if we are not home that night, It works so well, I made one for Christmas for my 12 year old neice who also has chickens. (bet all her friends were envious of her present!!)

I am a bit behind, as we just got back from a weeks vacation. Trying to play catch up at the moment (which is why you don't see any green...) i have two trays going at 1, 2 and 3 days..... the hens will get 3-4 day old sprouts until i can get back into my routine....

Thanks for looking!!

Is your wheat organic? We have found out how good the wheat sprouts taste! Maybe y'all can munch on some with the chickens! Really, they taste like cucumbers!!!
tongue.png

ONLY THEN did I do more reading.....face palm!
roll.png

So now I have a BUNCH of bins that will all be ready the at the same time
sad.png

hello everyone!!

Thank you for all your suggestions and information on this post. Made me able to search the department store with a (at least vague) idea of what I wanted. So many of you shared your ideas... i thought I would show you what I came up with.

I got the standing unit at K-Mart. I am sure Wal-mart or the like has something similar. Was a bit more expensive than the one on Amazon, but I didn't think 6 inch trays were big enough.

My DH and i flipped the "cabinet" over upsides down, and used the frame of it as a guide to drill drain holes through the bottom of the trays. That way the drainage doesn't drip in the "innards" , and go where it isn't supposed to (like the floor!) and will go to the drawer underneath.

I normally keep it on the counter so its next to the sprayer, but it is easily moved to the laundry room when we have company over.

I didn't put holes in the bottom one. It acts like a water catcher and I use it for soaking.

I really like the ease of it. for the most part, I do it everyday, however, you'll notice its only has 6 drawers. I end up soaking in a bowl once a week or so... or a day gets skipped here and there if we are not home that night, It works so well, I made one for Christmas for my 12 year old neice who also has chickens. (bet all her friends were envious of her present!!)

I am a bit behind, as we just got back from a weeks vacation. Trying to play catch up at the moment (which is why you don't see any green...) i have two trays going at 1, 2 and 3 days..... the hens will get 3-4 day old sprouts until i can get back into my routine....

Thanks for looking!!
Very Nice Setup!

hello everyone!!

Thanks for looking!!
LOVE this! EASY PEASY too! Easy to was, would keep mold from landing on your grains. How much was that and how big is it? Looks like about 14 inches wide and long maybe about 3 ft tall. Must surf walmart and kmart now LOL

Back
Top Bottom