Growing fodder for chickens

th.gif

I can't believe I read the whole thing! I feel prepared to try this awesome money saving idea.
I worried about our first winter with the girls here in wisconsin and them still getting their greens.
And me too... It's so healthy!!
Thanks everyone for your awesome stories and sharing your photos.
bow.gif

I'm wondering why most people soak for 24hrs? Most seeds only take a few hours to absorb their maximum water content. If you're having reoccurring mold, try soaking the seeds for 12 hrs, rinsing thoroughly, then rinsing maybe twice a day with plenty of drainage holes. Just a thought! Best of Luck!

My peas/beans weren't doing anything unless they were soaked at all times with a bit of vinegar mixed in the water..

Since I started feeding barley grass to my rabbits they have gone from 4 or 5 per litter to 8-10. Also they impregnate every mating, before it was only about 50% hit. I believe the difference is due to illiminating GMO corn and soy which was in the commercial rabbit pellets. The chickens have gone to 10-15 eggs a day from 2-3 AND look mucxh healthier. The chickens I feed a treat of sprouted boss and lentils twice a day but mostly fermented non GMO grains.
I have read that GMO products effect the reproductive systems of mamals but it must also effect that of rodents and birds. Wont the same hold true for humans? 90% of corn and 95% of soy raised in USA are GMO. All comercial feeds even fish food contain those as major components.

Since I started feeding barley grass to my rabbits they have gone from 4 or 5 per litter to 8-10. Also they impregnate every mating, before it was only about 50% hit. I believe the difference is due to illiminating GMO corn and soy which was in the commercial rabbit pellets. The chickens have gone to 10-15 eggs a day from 2-3 AND look mucxh healthier. The chickens I feed a treat of sprouted boss and lentils twice a day but mostly fermented non GMO grains.
I have read that GMO products effect the reproductive systems of mamals but it must also effect that of rodents and birds. Wont the same hold true for humans? 90% of corn and 95% of soy raised in USA are GMO. All comercial feeds even fish food contain those as major components.

Wow that's interesting. I think more studies need to be done on GMO grains and their longterm effects on people and animals that consume them. Fertility is a problem for so many people that it stands to reason it is being affected by something. Glad your animals are healthier now! Thanks for the info. Did it take your chickens a long time to adjust to sprouts? My 4 to 5 wk old chicks aren't overly interested in them. I have tried lentils with them so far, have flax and black eyed peas in process to try. I may also sprout some birdseed since it makes a nice soft grass.

My chicks are only a couple weeks old and they LOVE the sprouts. I haven't given them a full try of fodder yet, but I pull out individual sprouts and they chase each other around the brooder for them. That is w/ wheat seed. I have some BOSS that I have soaking right now, hopefully I'll get the same reaction with that.

I checked my local Walmart today. The hard wheat buckets were still priced the same. 12.98

The price I referred to was the price on their website. The local Walmarts in my area don't have the item so I get it online. I think that is how some of us get it - online. The online price has jumped significantly. It is good that the in-store price hasn't changed for you. You may want to grab a few before the price goes up. They keep for 30 years unopened. :)

Back
Top Bottom