Growing fodder for chickens

I'll bet you could find some online.
Yeah, IF I had the time, IF I wanted to start something new, IF I had enough money to start another new business, IF the sun rose in the West, IF I didn't have enough time in my day and IF I were younger than my 70+ years ... I might think a bit more on that idea.

Hey, I tossed it out there, any one can try it ... IF they want.

(smiling)

Skip

What is the best/easiest way to rinse your seeds? I can't find a way to rinse without losing seeds down the drain! I am growing wheat with a sprinkle of BOSS. I was also soaking the seeds for 24 hours. But I am wondering if that is contributing to the stubborn mold problem. I really dont know what to do. Everytime I water I am adding a couple glugs of bleach but it seems to come back. I am only able to water once a day. Anybody had the same issue? I live in South Texes and the weather has been wacky lately. We were in the 50s Wednesday and today it's supposed to be in the upper 70s. Need help. I don't want to kill my chickens with mold!!!
barnie.gif

Hey guys....I went to my local store and they have cleaned whole oats. Will those sprout?

Jramirez, have you tried a tray with a line of holes along one end and set the tray on a slight tilt? Or, you could always get a mega wire mesh strainer? That would drain better than the tray.
What is the best/easiest way to rinse your seeds? I can't find a way to rinse without losing seeds down the drain! I am growing wheat with a sprinkle of BOSS. I was also soaking the seeds for 24 hours. But I am wondering if that is contributing to the stubborn mold problem. I really dont know what to do. Everytime I water I am adding a couple glugs of bleach but it seems to come back. I am only able to water once a day. Anybody had the same issue? I live in South Texes and the weather has been wacky lately. We were in the 50s Wednesday and today it's supposed to be in the upper 70s. Need help. I don't want to kill my chickens with mold!!!
barnie.gif

MomaAB, I guess you can always buy a bag and try. I got some Triple Cleaned Oats from my local grain elevator. They did not sprout so well. So, I just soak those overnight and feed out the next day. It is better than just dry grains. I know some people do fermented feeds with seeds like that and apple cider vinegar with the mother in it. I did not like my results with that, so I don't do fermented feeds.
Hey guys....I went to my local store and they have cleaned whole oats. Will those sprout?

Sounds great, I started giving the pigs a treat of fodder mid day. They seem to really like it and the chickens are loving it. Good job

barnie.gif
I have holes in the bottom of my plastic bins, but I still pour the water from the side initially and use a screened collander to catch the seed that is still loose.

I went to a nursery and got a sand sieve. The fine ones (not the coarse) do a good job of holding the seeds while I give them a good rinse.

Our soil is pretty rocky, so I have to run the dirt through a sieve in the beds where I want to grow carrots.

Richard

What is the best/easiest way to rinse your seeds? I can't find a way to rinse without losing seeds down the drain! I am growing wheat with a sprinkle of BOSS. I was also soaking the seeds for 24 hours.
barnie.gif

Well the chickens are completely off of commercial pellet and the rabbits are down to 50/50. The chickens like sprouts better then fodder and the rabbits like fodder better than sprouts.

I've taken feed cost for chickens from .26 cents to .032 cents a pound and from .29 cents to .17cents a pound for the rabbits.

Back
Top Bottom