Growing fodder for chickens

I have been trying this with Barley and have had mold problems. Even soaked the seed in bleach water first, but still on the third day I see mold. Is it because of the Barley? I know mold loves to grow on grain , they use it when growing mushrooms. Any help?

Do the trays need ot have drainage holes? I have one drain hole in the bottom of my trays, thinking that must not be enough ?

Do the trays need ot have drainage holes? I have one drain hole in the bottom of my trays, thinking that must not be enough ?
Yes, your trays need to have drainage holes. I would put lots more drainage holes and then flood your trays several times a day with water and see if that takes care of the mold.

I bought a bag of Black Oil Sunflower Seeds (BOSS) from Lowes last night ($25.00 for 35lbs) which was a good price from the searches I did at a variety of local stores online. However, there seems to be quite a bit of chaff mixed in with the kernels. Should I pick the chaff out of the trays? Will the chaff cause mold growth? I soaked the seeds in water and 2Tbs ACV. I don't mind rinsing the seeds a couple times a day if that is needed. I had good success sprouting lentils this way, but the chicks don't eat them. They don't mind greens, just didn't like the lentils.

Regarding BOSS, I have read you have to be careful when buying it because if it is marketed for wild birds, it may have been sprayed or have a coating of something else. Anyone suggest a good clean brand? I have access to the Southern States brand at our local feed store. Also, Tractor Supply has their store brand. I just haven't been brave enough to buy either because of reading that somewhere. Thanks!

Well, I gave my chicks their first fodder last night... ANND I don't know that they ate a single piece...they did walk all over it and peck at it some but there wasn't much missing this morning.... SIGH alot of work if they are not going to like it :S

I have been trying this with Barley and have had mold problems. Even soaked the seed in bleach water first, but still on the third day I see mold. Is it because of the Barley? I know mold loves to grow on grain , they use it when growing mushrooms. Any help?
I have been growing both barley and wheat fodder. I started off with some major mold problems especially when I used barley. I bought a big bag of both at the feed mill and the barley is supposed to be cleaned but it has all kinds of other stuff in it while the wheat has just wheat. In an attempt to prevent the mold, I do the following things. In the initial soak, I add about 1 Tbls of Oxine (without the activator). It is safe to put in bird's water, to use as mouth wash, etc. so I feel comfortable using it on my fodder. I soak the seeds for 8-12 hours, drain, rinse a couple of times, and let them sprout in the same container for 2 days making sure to rinse at least twice a day. Then I spread out the seed in a tray with holes making sure that they are only about 3 seeds deep. I put that tray in another tray without holes and cover it with another tray. I rinse the seeds with cold water 3 times/day for 3-5 min. per rinse. Rinsing more often for longer periods and having fewer seeds has helped prevent the mold. I also sometimes spray the sprouted seeds with a diluted Oxine mixture to take care of any surface mold spores. I leave the tray covered until the sprouts are 1/2-1 in. tall. Once I remove the cover, they green up within a day. With the barley, I have been feeding it to my birds when it is 1-2 in high and before the roots start getting mold on them. The wheat, I can let grow higher because I rarely have a mold issue with it. I'm not sure if I just got a bad bag of Barley but it also causes problems in my fermented feed. I have started sprouting it and then planting it in soil in outdoor trays with hardware cloth covers. It grows up and my girls eat it through the screen. It lasts for months that way.

I may try it this way. I have mini-green house trays that have the clear top on them. I also have a 4-tier mini green house with a cover that opens for ventilation.
Why not just grow them in a little dirt, might be easier

I have been growing both barley and wheat fodder.  I started off with some major mold problems especially when I used barley.  I bought a big bag of both at the feed mill and the barley is supposed to be cleaned but it has all kinds of other stuff in it while the wheat has just wheat.  In an attempt to prevent the mold, I do the following things.  In the initial soak, I add about 1 Tbls of Oxine (without the activator).  It is safe to put in bird's water, to use as mouth wash, etc. so I feel comfortable using it on my fodder.  I soak the seeds for 8-12 hours, drain, rinse a couple of times, and let them sprout in the same container for 2 days making sure to rinse at least twice a day.  Then I spread out the seed in a tray with holes making sure that they are only about 3 seeds deep.  I put that tray in another tray without holes and cover it with another tray.  I rinse the seeds with cold water 3 times/day for 3-5 min. per rinse.  Rinsing more often for longer periods and having fewer seeds has helped prevent the mold.  I also sometimes spray the sprouted seeds with a diluted Oxine mixture to take care of any surface mold spores.   I leave the tray covered until the sprouts are 1/2-1 in. tall.  Once I remove the cover, they green up within a day.  With the barley, I have been feeding it to my birds when it is 1-2 in high and before the roots start getting mold on them.  The wheat, I can let grow higher because I rarely have a mold issue with it.  I'm not sure if I just got a bad bag of Barley but it also causes problems in my fermented feed.  I have started sprouting it and then planting it in soil in outdoor trays with hardware cloth covers.  It grows up and my girls eat it through the screen.  It lasts for months that way.

How old are your chicks? Much of what I've read indicates chicks can't do much with fodder, but pullets and older can.

Well, I gave my chicks their first fodder last night... ANND I don't know that they ate a single piece...they did walk all over it and peck at it some but there wasn't much missing this morning.... SIGH alot of work if they are not going to like it :S

Back
Top Bottom