Growing fodder for chickens

Still figuring out my setup and what is going to work for me. The heat in humidity in my garage in central Florida are extreme at times, so I've had some initial mold problems. I'm using BOSS and the chicks really like it once it's good and sprouted. I'm starting them inside in large yogurt containers and only soaking for 12 hours instead of 24 (the shorter time prevents the water from souring and seeds from splitting open), then switching to another container with drainage holes where I can rinse them multiple times a day. Once they are ready to put out leaves, I'm going to move them outside to the garage to green up and will to try keeping the seeds in a single layer to allow for more air circulation once they are in the trays. I've also been picking out as much of the chaff and broken seeds as I can in about a minute and when I see it between switching containers.

Here are a couple things that I learned from my aquarium days about mold/algae growth that have been applicable to growing the fodder that may help you too:
1. Mold grows in the presence of excess nutrients that are not being used up by the plants
Such as: too much standing water, not enough air/water circulation, dead materials like unsprouted seeds and pieces of chaff, too much heat from sunlight or ambient room temperatures
2. In a balanced plant to nutrient ratio, the sprouts will be using up all of the nutrients available to them and will not leave extra for mold
3. Periodic cleanings of all surfaces with chemicals that don't leave a residue (bleach or vinegar for example) are necessary to keep mold from gaining a foothold in your setup. Dawn dish detergent and many soaps leave residues that can be harmful to living things.

This is by no means a comprehensive list and I'm not an expert, but maybe it will be helpful to you :)
I'm in California, by no means as much humidity but we have the HEAT!! So, have you ever soaked for only 30 minutes? It seems to work about the same as a 12 hour soak regarding sprouting. I don't have research that mentions shorter soak times providing more nutrition, but I love the fact that I don't forget the little dear in the corner!!!!

Loved your mold hints by the way. I've only had a mold issue one time, when trying to sprout oats - don't bother with them. Every seed is fully complete with all the nutrients it requires to sprout until the 2nd leaf is formed. You are completely right about the non-sprouters creating havoc! I just finished my gardening class, so I remember that little detail. Thank you!

Well let me take a stab at this for you, and I'm no expert on tilts, I rig everything as easy as possible. However, my engineering side tells me that you will need just a tiny tilt like a shim to achieve enough for the water to leave the trays. If the water drains too fast (like my tuna cans that I used to prop up the trays) then you won't get great results with seed germination.
barnie.gif
I'm reducing my tuna cans to a thin piece of wood so the seeds have more fun in the water!

I do mine by hand, so I can certainly field this one. I have been using about 1.5 gallons for 4 trays 6" by 41" length twice a day. Yes that sounds good! Each of my trays holds 3 to 4 cups of dry seeds before starting the sprouting process. I'm still negotiating the quantity of seeds on these trays, one is currently hold 6 cups and that would be too much!!

Drain location - OK, I have 7 trays to take to the sink, yep, the sink. It does take a bit longer but it does a great job. I simply spray with my handy dandy water thingy that is located next to my faucet. Voila! I don't let my water sit in the trays I just spray them and drain them. It works too. Pretty forgiving process. As to the other trays, I flood them using the watering can, see I'm improving!
wink.png

As to the starting process for the dry seeds, I rinse them until I no longer see floaters and dirt, then I let them soak for 30 minutes, drain and stick them in an opaque container like a Folgers can. I do not let them soak 24 hours. You get more nutrition with less soak time and the odds are you won't forget it!!!

Have fun with wheat boss, but remember add the boss after you clean the wheat cuz it's a foater!
smile.png

HI wormrun! Thank you for the info. My DH built me a rack to put my trays on! You gotta love the man!!
love.gif
I didn't want to bother him with building me something else, as I seem to always have a project for him, especially with chicken tractors, brooders ect, but it was his idea! An extra blessing is that he is a carpenter by trade! He built the rack like the one Phottoman built. I used coffee cans like you to rinse my seeds. They are on top of the fridge as we speak. Will put them in the tray this eve. I will use the shim instead of the 3/4 piece we have under them now. We tried them out by pouring water in the top tray to see how fast it ran thru. It was pretty fast, so this info is good to know. Wasn't sure how fast it needed to be. Just starting with 1 tray for now, every other day. I only have free ranging 12 adults right now with 17 chicks, with 30 meat chicks coming the middle of the week, and 15 coming from murray the 1st of June. Should have this fodder up and going full steam by the time they are ready for it! Thanks again! Will let you know when I get sprouts. My house is cool, so that should help. Have a good day!

Last edited:
Awesome! I wish my hubby could help me. Send pix of your setup once you are ready. Can't wait!!! You will be fine by then. Stay away from oats, they are not cost effective, you think they would be, but you need twice as many seeds and they take almost twice as long to sprout. :) How fun this will be for you having all those girls to feed!

I was asking if, when growing BOSS as Fodder, the chickens eat the shells...... vs. having to pull the shells out after sprouting
Yes the girls will love all the BOSS you can throw at them, and you CAN include BOSS in your fodder.

It floats as already mentioned, but it sprouts just as well and as fast as the Barley and Wheat. If you want to mix a little BOSS in with either Barley or Wheat, feel free to do that too. The first time I sprouted BOSS it went wild, it was fun to watch, and now I use about a hand full, I just add it to whatever else i am sprouting, it grows at about the same rate as the barley and wheat.

Two things I tried hard to use were oats and corn. I was never successful with either. So, instead, I am "going over to the other side." I have started fermenting the oats. Fermenting corn was a no-go, but the oats seem to have finally started doing what I had hoped.

One thing I would mention, when I take the fodder out to the chickens, they swarm all over me. THAT alone is worth all the time spent in growing fodder ... and as an extra special treat, I will sometimes bring a fist full of dry BOSS out with me when checking on them later in the evening, before sunset. They really scramble for those seeds.

If you have new chicks that you can't seem to make friends with, try bringing some BOSS and lay your hand open on the ground near them, they'll start taking it from your hand, and then they too will start swarming around you looking for more.

Skip

Yes, I know BOSS works as fodder. I will try this one more time-do you have to remove the SHELLS, or will they eat those in the fodder?

Just throw them in as they are out of the bag. The shells will open, and it's really neat sometimes to see the grass growing with a crown of empty shells stuck to some of the grasses.

And it's not really a grass as in wheat or barley, it's more like a small plant, there will be leaves growing, THAT was what made it look so good.

Skip

Thank you!!!

Just throw them in as they are out of the bag. The shells will open, and it's really neat sometimes to see the grass growing with a crown of empty shells stuck to some of the grasses.

And it's not really a grass as in wheat or barley, it's more like a small plant, there will be leaves growing, THAT was what made it look so good.

Skip

Back
Top Bottom