Growing fodder for chickens

I just want to thank you all for your knowledge! I've never posted on this thread before, but have been following it for weeks and reading and re-reading it. I got some cheap trays and a small bag of wheat and I have fodder growing! It was so easy after reading all of your comments and advice! Hoping this will make my chicks a little less skittish of us now that we have treats they like!!

I just want to thank you all for your knowledge! I've never posted on this thread before, but have been following it for weeks and reading and re-reading it. I got some cheap trays and a small bag of wheat and I have fodder growing! It was so easy after reading all of your comments and advice! Hoping this will make my chicks a little less skittish of us now that we have treats they like!!
welcome-byc.gif
I too am new to this thread. Been reading and inquiring here about 2 weeks. Great helpful people!
yippiechickie.gif
I started 1 tray of fodder sat. evening. It is about 1/2 " high! I started another tray last nite, and it already has little tails!
woot.gif

I got oats as that was the only whole grain available at the time. It does sprout, but not well. Mine takes 11 days to get to 4 inches high.

I was afraid of a poor result as I had read on the list of others having trouble.

I will keep looking for wheat and barley and ferment the oats. They work great for that!
Have you tried mixing your oats and wheat, I don't know why but find it helps the oat to sprout faster then it does by itself. I have no scientific proof of that, it is just how it works for me.

How long should it take for feed wheat to germinate? Mines been in the tray for a day and I still don't see any roots. I'm new to this can someone help please?

Dollar Tree sells some flat screens with a handle that are meant to cover pans when cooking. I'm thinking these might be great for growing fodder. I'm going to try tomorrow.
Can these be fed to replace feed? I would like to get as close to natural as possible.

Back
Top Bottom