Growing fodder for chickens

They are about a half an inch thick. I rinsed 3 times yesterday but I'll do more today. I don't see any mold

If you still don't see mold then the smell is just that particular seeds smell. Some are smellier than others. I primarily use wheat for this reason. If I experiment with a different seed and it stinks, then I toss it to the chickens and don't use it again. Mine are in my kitchen so I don't want any with icky smells.

In the beginning you just have to experiment in small batches to see what wotks best for you.

If you still don't see mold then the smell is just that particular seeds smell. Some are smellier than others. I primarily use wheat for this reason. If I experiment with a different seed and it stinks, then I toss it to the chickens and don't use it again. Mine are in my kitchen so I don't want any with icky smells.

In the beginning you just have to experiment in small batches to see what wotks best for you.

Ok thank you. I'm just using bird sees for now because it was given to me. If all goes well though my next batch will be wheat

This is awesome. I love this thread, and have only read the first few pages! Since starting with chickens nine months ago, I've built a brooder, coops, an incubator, a hoop coop, and now I'm busily trying to figure out the best place for a forage system :-D! My husband will be thrilled, I'm sure, hahaha, but not so much as the chickens, turkeys, and soon-to-arrive rabbits ;-). Thanks again BYC peeps.

Hi All, I am new to fermented feed, but love the idea.

But where do you find wheat seed? I saw someone said a brew store. Anywhere else? Is it something you feed wild birds? Or is the seeds that farmers would use to grow their wheat?

Someone else said Walmart in a bucket. What department would that be in?

I want to try it, but have no idea what to ferment besides their crumbles.

Well I can answer some of your questions but there is also a thread for fermenting feed as well that will be helpful. Just type fermenting feed into the search bar and click the one that says for meat birds. It's actually for everyone

If you go to your feed store and ask for wheat they should know what you are talking about
And at Walmart it should be in the emergency supply section and if not they would probably order it for you

Last edited:
Hi All, I am new to fermented feed, but love the idea.

But where do you find wheat seed? I saw someone said a brew store. Anywhere else? Is it something you feed wild birds? Or is the seeds that farmers would use to grow their wheat?

Someone else said Walmart in a bucket. What department would that be in?

I want to try it, but have no idea what to ferment besides their crumbles.

When I first wanted to 'test' wheat I bought a 5 lbs bag at Amazon. Yes, it is more expensive (per pound) then buying a 50 pound bag at my local feed store, but I certainly didn't want a bunch of wheat if it didn't grow well for me. Since then I have purchased a few pounds at a time from my organic supermarket for $ .79 a pound. I still don't need a 50 lb bag so buying a few pounds every now and then is fine with me. It really does not take much to sprout.

Now if you are talking fermenting...you can ferment the crumbles and add some wheat for an extra healthy treat. I just posted an article on my blog about fermenting chicken feed which can give you more details...see it here: http://backyardchickenlady.blogspot.com/2013/07/lacto-fermentation-making-my-own.html

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom