Growing fodder for chickens

Does anyone know how long does it take to sprout BOSS?

I started this one on 10/17, so it has been sprouting for 4 days now.

This one was started on 10/15, so it has been 6 days now. I feels they should have sprouted longer than that!

Your spouts look wonderful, even delicious! What hen would not be thrilled. But what is BOSS? And how did you sprout them? In a plastic tub?

Your spouts look wonderful, even delicious! What hen would not be thrilled. But what is BOSS? And how did you sprout them? In a plastic tub?

What is it that is being sprouted in those tubs? Is this the BOSS?
BOSS is Black Oil Sunflower Seed and yes that is what is being sprouted in the tubs.

They do look delicious!!
droolin.gif
Here is the link that you can lean more about it: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/creating-your-own-fodder-system

Does anyone know how long does it take to sprout BOSS? I started this one on 10/17, so it has been sprouting for 4 days now. This one was started on 10/15, so it has been 6 days now. I feels they should have sprouted longer than that!
Ours grew faster than that but temperature will make a difference and light levels. We were mixing it with wheat, oats, field peas, and corn and only the BOSS kept molding so we quit using it but I guess we could grow it by itself. Also how thick is your mat of it. An inch deep seems to grow best and don't break the mat once it forms by stirring or anything. That seems to retard the growth as well.

My BOSS sprouts took a very long time to get green sprouts. So long that I'm not going to sprout them again. I'll be looking for wheat for sprouting once all our green is gone. Wheat has the nice long strands of green and looks like it grows faster than BOSS.

Back
Top Bottom