Growing fodder for chickens

Here's my fodder set up.

I used buffet tray racks , bought for $3 each and foil pans bought for 1.79 each.

They're stacked oldest on top to newest on the bottom in my laundry sink. I poked holes in them and water all trays by dumping
water into the top tray which drains to the others below and down the drain.

The top 3 trays contain winter rye and the bottom is wheat.

I think I have 2 more days until I harvest a tray.

Last edited:
LacyBlues, I followed your lead but my chickens ate the lentils and left the roots from 3-4 days sprouting. Next time I'll leave them there until they sprout green leaves and see what happens then. But I understood that all the extra greenery does not add to their nutrition and it is best to feed them the sprouts early on. Someone out there, what's right? : )

I rotate between barley (feed store), lentils (food grade from CashnCarry restaurant supply), and what's left of my wild bird seed mix (BOSS, millet, etc.). Unless a bird seed mix specifically says it's been heated/irradiated to stop germination, it should work. What you choose may depend on what's inexpensive in your area and how many birds you have! So, how big a flock are you feeding? What sort of climate (will they have no outdoor access for ranging, or range all through the winter)? If you have a feed store, do your 'guys' seem knowledgeable? They should know which will sprout and which won't...
:)
-AG
Kassaundra... I am having the dickens of a time sewing my coffee sacks. They are about twice as big as I need, so thought I would make them smaller; tips/tricks? I usually sew easy stuff, out of fleece. Thanks!
I just do a zig zag, wide, turn the sac and sew the seam again w/ zig zag to encase the raw edges.

I think once they get to see them more often, they'll go for the entire thing. I let mine sprout until they have the tiniest little twin leaves on top. As far as I understand it, the extra greenery is good for them too... the chlorophyll thing and extra vitamin A which is what they will be sorely lacking in the winter. It may not add to their nutrition but I don't think they lose nutrition as the sprouts get another day or two older.

Thanks "Lacy". I love that as a real name---so sweet, feminine. I had planned on using it for a daughter but only had boys. Maybe a granddaughter?

Wow...Talk about a massive thread! I hate to be that guy but I simply don't have the time to read all 256 pages on this thread. I wish I did though as there seems to be a lot of great ideas. I've read the first few pages and the last few pages and think I have most of this figured out enough to give it a whirl. Still I would highly encourage one of you in the know people to consolidate this into an article. This should definitely be a featured article in the learning center.

I'm having some problems figuring out what seeds to use and what to avoid. Is there any quick input out there as to what is more/less nutritious for the flock?

So far I've seen:
Barley
Wheat
Black oil sunflower seed (BOSS)

I'd like to try a mix of these. The next question is where to get them? In our local tractor supply I see a ton of feed but I'm not sure what will sprout. I went to the homebrew store and was fold all the grains were already malted and would no sprout. My only search results for BOSS has been Wild bird seed. Any suggestions?
I didn't really want to seem like I was "jumping" on you for asking this kind of question, but yeah ... I really AM.

When you went to school, the teachers taught you to read, then added a little math into your education, then you probably went on to high school and maybe college. Now, after ALL that education, think back to your first year(s) of schooling. Why do you suppose they didn't start you in the first grade with calculus, or medicine if you wanted to be a doctor when you grow up?

You start with baby steps.

OK, some one mentioned barley, and someone talked about BOSS, and you picked up on that, but how will you grow it, and WHY is it better than some other seed?

See where I am going with this? YES, it is a L-O-N-G thread, but there is SO MUCH to learn that you can't just ask a simple question and expect to understand the answer.

PLEASE ... READ what others (including myself) have said in the past in this thread, and you will not only find your questions answered, and reasons for what we say, but examples of WHY the answers are what they are.

And along the way ... you'll be EDUCATED. See how that works?

OK, I'll step down off this apple crate now, it IS getting a little wobbly anyway.

Skip

I found some old Rubbermaid totes that were missing lids. Put holes in the bottom of one. Today is day one of my sprouting adventure! Starting with BOSS because I already have some. This is a little too exciting. I cannot believe the money that can be saved in providing fodder. My girls are only 8 weeks old so I want to make sure they are still eating mostly feed...right? I am beyond convinced in the nutritious nature of fodder but should I limit their consumption? It's such a natural food source I'm tempted to think it's better but everyone else seems to think they should be on crumbles alone at this age.

Back
Top Bottom