Growing fodder for chickens

Here is another picture. It grows really quick. I am using wheat. Going to give some to my birds today. I also ferment feed for them. And if this helps as good as fermented feed does. All I can say is wow! I put rooster booster in with my fermented feed. It is vitamins, minerals and probiotics . Try it it is really cheap at TSC!

I haven't followed this thread but I plant winter wheat on my garden plot and let the chickens run to it or gather some for them. It stays pretty green even covered with snow. In the coldest of times it browns up but usually stays green here in Kentucky. B
Below zero this morning.

I take the tray and put a sprinkle of oyster shell fine grind in the bottom of the tray next spread the seed , wet out and stack the trays one atop the other for root development , they thrive in the dark and under pressure from above after they are set a few days we seperate them out under low light and water with a vitamin b complex solution with a kelp extract, this vit b/kelp solution adds potassium and vit b to the fodder the seeds experience accelerated growth under the lights, adjusting the ph of the water with an acidifier to ph 5.8 promotes strong growth, Seems contrived but the extra encouragement is extra nutrition, calcium,(oyster shell) potassium vit b. The growth takes the same amount of time but adding effort pays off.The oyster shell adds a matrix for the roots binding the slab together, less wastage from flinging the sprouts around. The pressure on the emerging seeds is an old Chinese trick for making mung bean sprouts that's how they get those long fat sprouts the stress of pressure from above strengthens elongates and creates fat roots that can support lush growth when exposed to light. I also learned this from producers of micro greens, they use it to keep the harvest all at the same height of growth. Adding the supplements to the process is nutrition for the bird as well, the hens need the calcium. All it involves is stacking the trays in the dark for early root development.
A rinse solution of 1 ounce 3% hydrogen peroxide in 2 cups of water (30 ml in 500 ml water) is effective in controlling any sign of molding or bad bacterial smells , it doesn't harm the sprouts only sanitizes the bacteria, mold condition, can save a batch from being rejected. Its safe to rinse the seeds ahead of time in the same solution as it prevents any surface borne bacteria on the seeds from becoming incubated. Hydrogen peroxide in a weak solution will not affect live plant tissue but will oxidize and break down into oxygen and hydrogen when in contact with mold and bacteria. You can see it bubble and fizz as it destroys the pathogens. Just saying , cheers to y'all it is -30degreesC here today and sunny. twice as cold as your normal home freezer.

Ok so my feed store only had Oats. can I use this. and no dirt? I have a bin ready to put my seeds in with dirt in the bottom. I thought you just planted it and waited for it to get high enough to give to them. Wow Ok so take the dirt out of my bin and just put the seeds in there and drain into a different bin. hum. I can do that. Is there any seeds you don't want to use? I went looking for wheat but they didn't have any so they suggested the oats.

My small flock of bantams lives in a city garden coop. They are a delight to have here and I love them everyday. I, too, have put it off for years, then I decided that one cannot gain time back. So, until I get my acreage for farm animals, these chickens fulfill my agricultural aspirations, for now.

Back
Top Bottom