Growing fodder for chickens

Quote:
I hope to have time to look for small containers tomorrow. THis sounds like an excellent option. I would guess that any sharp pointed instrument could poke holes in the tins. Just put something soft under the tin, like a piece of styrofoam or a folded towel. I only have six hens, so I think 8X8 would be sufficient. Sandwich-sized containers would work for me, too.

Quote:
Small holes will take forever to drain. If the holes are too big, they go through. Someone said that if you soak the seeds first, they swell enough that they won't go through. You're the only one who knows what you're dealing with. I agree with tillyita. I like the flyscreen (insect screen, in US) idea. Use aluminum. Cut it to fit your container (one with holes that are big). Put some tape over the edges of the screening so you don't scratch yourself. Make it long on two opposite sides so that you can lift it from the container when it is ready to feed.

Last edited:
Quote:
If I had any doubts about raising meal worms, they are put to rest. I may buy the "pet store treat" variety for occasional treating, but I will not be trying to raise these. I will stick to digging up worms. (We only give them two or three, a piece, as an occasional treat. Given with fodder, I think they would enjoy it. I don't know if I would be consistent with the care it takes to raise them. I'm content keep an area covered in organic material and check for worms, now and then. I read this article and it did not sway me one way or the other. Kits for red worms have been around for decades. I am sure there are a multitude of websites that show how to keep a worm compost container. When I was a kid, back in the sixties, I used to pick up Canadian nightcrawlers at night and sell them for fifty cents a dozen. I loved doing that. But it ended the day that two of the cutest boys in school showed up at my door to buy worms. I wasn't going to be a millionaire selling worms, anyway. Here is the website I just used for worm information: http://ipm.montana.edu/YardGarden/docs/earthwormraiseing-insect.htm

I will get back on track with trying to grow fodder. We have, yet, ANOTHER Arctic Blast headed our way next week. Fifties to Sixties this weekend and then the highs will be in the low twenties on Monday.

Last edited:
What did you use to drill your holes? sorry for so many questions but when we drilled holes in those cheap plastic trays they got cracks in them and looks like it would be difficult to drill holes the aluminum too. I'm thinking on using a cat litter try next. maybe the plastic would be thick enough the bottom won't crack. 

I hope to have time to look for small containers tomorrow.  THis sounds like an excellent option.  I would guess that any sharp pointed instrument could poke holes in the tins.  Just put something soft under the tin, like a piece of styrofoam or a folded towel.  I only have six hens, so I think 8X8 would be sufficient.  Sandwich-sized containers would work for me, too. 

On the aluminum pans I used my knife and poked a bunch of holes in it. As fas as plastic goes different types do different things. Some you can drill with no problems some will split and crack. Drilling on plastic totes,I have found it is easier to use the drill in reverse so it does not grab the plastic, which is usually when it cracks on you, (when it goes through.)And only put light pressure on it also. The hole size should be about an 1/8 inch. Once the seed is soaked it swells , so it will not go through it. Water drains fine. I use wheat, just about any other seed it should work fine on. Unless you use something like clover, then use screen like someone had stated .

On the aluminum pans I used my knife and poked a bunch of holes in it. As fas as plastic goes different types do different things. Some you can drill with no problems some will split and crack. Drilling on plastic totes,I have found it is easier to use the drill in reverse so it does not grab the plastic, which is usually when it cracks on you, (when it goes through.)And only put light pressure on it also. The hole size should be about an 1/8 inch. Once the seed is soaked it swells , so it will not go through it. Water drains fine. I use wheat, just about any other seed it should work fine on. Unless you use something like clover, then use screen like someone had stated .
Thank you, so far I've only used wheat but hope to try some variety soon.

Hi, I have really thought about it and I want to grow it. I did find some seed at a local feed store but I am not sure which seed to start with first. Any suggestions for hot CA?

What did you use to drill your holes? sorry for so many questions but when we drilled holes in those cheap plastic trays they got cracks in them and looks like it would be difficult to drill holes the aluminum too. I'm thinking on using a cat litter try next. maybe the plastic would be thick enough the bottom won't crack.

I used plastic tupperware, I heated a tiny screwdriver and melted holes into mine. But they do take forever to drain, I think I need to add a lot more.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom