Growing fodder for chickens

D*:*'foiled again malcom so sprouts for two legs and fodder for four is that the insiders rule? Again Im new here
I'm new too don't feel bad I always thought it was so posed to be short sprouts were the richest because they have not used up all there stored energy for growth. But hell that's just what I gatherd from reading I'm no expert on the matter

Hello everybody
I am trying my hand at fodder ....The ducks like it better than the chickens,but the chickens will eat them just not as fast as the ducks.
....about 15.% protein dry so sprouted should be a bit better.....
What we are forgetting is that when we sprout or ferment small grains we are processing the food stuff just as sure as General Mills makes little green apples. Most of the raw protein in the grain is converted to a form of protein called digestible cellulose. Cellulose is a food that termites thrive on but chickens not so much. If chickens were intended to eat roots, stems, leaves and nothing else, your chickens would have been hatched with a snout like that on a pig to better root for roots or else your hens would have teeth and 4 stomachs like a cow does so that they can better digest the cellulose in sprouted grain.

Hi I found a couple of great articles about this the first describes protein
(3) A List of the Protein Levels of Different Feeds

FOOD SOURCE %PROTEIN, BY WT

Dried fish flakes 76
Dried liver 76
Dried earthworms 76
Duckweed 50
Torula yeast 50
Brewers yeast 39
Soybeans (dry roasted) 37
Flaxseed 37
Alfalfa seed 35
Beef, lean 28
Earthworms 28
Fish 28
Sunflower seeds 26.3
Wheat germ 25
Peas & Beans, dried 24.5
Sesame seed 19.3
Soybeans (boiled) 17
Wheat bran 16.6
Oats, whole 14
Rice polish 12.8
Rye 12.5
Wheat 12.5
Barley 12.3
Oats 12
Corn 9
Millet 9
Milo 9
Rice, brown 7.5

good easy to follow video
and then
both of these ladies are into self-sufficency/homesteading and did some trail and error video's. Big thanks to Michigansnowpony and Becky for the time saving info, lol! After seeing the huge systems available for extreemly high $ I began trying to find a way to grow fodder for my comming next year chicks... I found lots of nutritional information and if I could get it for a fair price here in Louisiana I would so go for that but so far just wheat at this point :( Any how I hope these links work (I'm still technotarded<3) but hey I'm trying Happy Valentines, and good growing. Tractor Supply has a small green house perfect for 3 rows of containers and 3 tall giving a total (using dollar store containers) of 9 containers. The only issue is buy some ties to hold your shelves onto the frame, unless your graceful and don't accidently over load the front or back of the self when working! Lolz. Just put a tote on the bottom shelf and re-use the water to water 2 times or more per day. That's my plan, even though the "best laid plans of mice and men" must include rolling up your sleeves and "Get 'er done" :)

I'm really getting the hang of this. The girls love it.

Back
Top Bottom