Growing fodder for chickens

I made mine for really cheap w/ burlap from the fabric store, have tried cheap second hand pillow cases, they worked really well too.  I have just got 2 rabbits I have been sprouting for and since I only needed a small amount of sprouts for the rabbits and do not sprout for the chickens through the growing season, I have been using old worn out socks.

So you make a bag out of the burlap.
How much can you put in before it molds?
Do the seeds have to be flat or just a pile ok?

So you make a bag out of the burlap.
How much can you put in before it molds?
Do the seeds have to be flat or just a pile ok?

I find they sprout better flat, like the video shows, I tried just keeping them in a bucket w/ different colored clippies to identify order when I first started, but flat works better both for organizing and for sprouting.

I have never had mold in a 4 day sprout that didn't have boss in it, done this way.

If you want to sprout more seed just make a bigger bag. You want your seed to be about between 1-2 inches thick over the surface of the inside of the bag when laid out like I do them for good sprout ratio.(at soaked size)

I have experimented w/ different sacs and they all seem to work fine, my made burlap, making from old towel, using old thrift store pillow cases, using old worn out socks (for small amounts)

I don't usually grow sprouts in the growing season for the chickens, figure they can pick their own grass and weeds. But I just got some meat rabbits and so I've been trying to figure a way to grow just a few sprouts for them, that lead me to the old sock idea. I do not have a video, but here are a few pics of what I've been doing for them.

These came up out of order, I have been putting 1/3 cup of dry seed in the sock each day, and b/c of the seed I am using (mistake my hubby got when sent for something else) only soaking 12 hours instead of my usual 24 hours

This is day 4 sprout, I'm taking it out to feed the buns.

They approve!

B/c I'm to lazy to pick seeds off, and the rabbits would chew the socks up, the chicks and broody moms get a windfall.

The socks stay in a to go container after the initial soak, O for odd day

E for even day, so I don't get confused when turning the container

Days 1, 2, and 3 snuggly fit inside.

So, you don't rinse your socks on days 2 and 3, you just pull them out of your to-go containers?

Correct, I have grown sprouts in sacks for over a year, and never do the constant rinsing, just the rinse prior to soak, soak, and final rinse just after soak.

I only have four hens right now, but I swear they lay more in the heat spells since I've been giving them wheatgrass. I make fodder by the cupful in large cottage cheese containers, right on my counter, usually three containers at a time. I stack them in little pyramids of six. LOL. Here is what the ladies get:

I only have four hens right now, but I swear they lay more in the heat spells since I've been giving them wheatgrass. I make fodder by the cupful in large cottage cheese containers, right on my counter, usually three containers at a time. I stack them in little pyramids of six. LOL. Here is what the ladies get:
welcome-byc.gif
That is a great picture. Good idea about the containers.

where do you get your wheatgrass seed from?

I buy it in 50lb bags from a local grocery store that carries animal feeds as well. It's only like $14 a bag. Makes a LOT of fodder. (It's a Food Source in Rio Linda.)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom