Growing fodder for chickens

I am not familiar with your system, but in mine I rinse the trays in my kitchen sink twice a day. I don't have a system where the water goes into the top trays and runs through the lower trays. Mine are just flat trays on a shelf in my laundry room. I have only discovered mold if I didn't rinse them often enough, like if I missed an evening rinse. Maybe you need to rinse with cool fresh water more often if its too warm in your home and creating mold.

After much experimentation I have finally developed a small scale growing system that allows me to feed 17 chickens Fresh Organic Wheat Grass for less than 25 Cents a day. I posted it on my blog if you are interested in following the method I've been using for nearly a year.

"I Grow Wheat Grass for 17 Chickens for Less than 25 Cents a Day - Instructions"

Hope this helps anyone interested in growing their own Wheat Grass for your Chickens (or other critters), and yourself if you make green smoothies! I don't...I just can't get past the green. lol.

Where did you get your containers and how long before you start a new batch?
Thanks for any help!

Where did you get your containers and how long before you start a new batch?
Thanks for any help!

I keep a rotating batch always in action, as seen in the picture. If you go to my blog post in the link, you will see links to where to buy the supplies online. I live in a very rural area so supplies are not available locally. You could see them on the post, then look for them locally or buy them online.

Anna

Im not feeding as seeds. I wanted to soak them and make fodder. I would think the seed then is gone and the sprouts should be fine. Thoughts?

Im not feeding as seeds. I wanted to soak them and make fodder. I would think the seed then is gone and the sprouts should be fine. Thoughts?

Oxine maybe. I don't know about this. I should keep my mouth closed
lau.gif

Wouldn't soaking them until the seeds open to let the sprout out, cause the fungicide to enter the water, and therefore the plant itself? I just would not use them. Personally, I wouldn't even grow them in the ground then use them, basically for that same reason.

Last edited:
I would be leary about using them too. But think I would find out the specific fungicide used and look up the info on it. Treated and grown in the ground for a whole season then harvesting the grain, cutting the stalks as straw, is very different from a 7 day soak and feed out w/ much of the seed material in the root mat.

Back
Top Bottom