Growing fodder for chickens

I started a nrw batch of barley soaked them in a bleach solution for 30 minutes then drained them and let sit for 12 hrs then rinsed them and put them in the trays. I soak them for a minute three times a day and drain well im on day three and getting good sprouts. Im having a issue with white spider web looking mold, the temp in my room is around 75 with good air flow. Any ideas on how to stop this?

I have our first batch of wheat sprouting (its been 48hrs since initial start of soak) and just started to soak another batch. If the chickens don't like it I have 4 sheep that'll love the fodder too! So far no issues with mold but our area has next to no humidity. No use of bleach or similar.

I just bought myself a Victorio VKP1014 4-Tray Kitchen Seed Sprouter to sprout my wheat seed into fodder for my chickens....looks like this photo. My chickens love the fodder so far....I think this will be great to sprout my seeds in and then transfer to my other "shoe box" containers for growing them to about 3 inches high before I feed them to the kiddos!! Can't wait to get it!!

I just bought myself a Victorio VKP1014 4-Tray Kitchen Seed Sprouter to sprout my wheat seed into fodder for my chickens....looks like this photo. My chickens love the fodder so far....I think this will be great to sprout my seeds in and then transfer to my other "shoe box" containers for growing them to about 3 inches high before I feed them to the kiddos!! Can't wait to get it!!

i have one of those, i've decided to alternate sprouts for my salad and fodder for my chickens. it works great and i haven't had any issues with mold in it yet. can't do a lot at a time, but it is still a nice treat for the birds. one thing to keep in mind, though, the fodder will get taller than the trays, so you have to stagger them enough that you only have one getting too tall at a time.

I love mine! I use it to sprout wheat that I move to my fodder growing trays to grow grass for the chickens. It works great for sprouting. I found as long as I flood n drain at least twice a day I never get mold, no matter what the temps are in my house. I keep mine right by my kitchen sink so it reminds me to rinse often.

I started a nrw batch of barley soaked them in a bleach solution for 30 minutes then drained them and let sit for 12 hrs then rinsed them and put them in the trays. I soak them for a minute three times a day and drain well im on day three and getting good sprouts. Im having a issue with white spider web looking mold, the temp in my room is around 75 with good air flow. Any ideas on how to stop this?

The white spider looking webs may not be mold at all. I thought that, then I looked closer (with a magnifying glass) and discovered those were tiny little hairs growing from the plant itself. They look limp after you rinse with water so it looks like it's washed away, but you can't rub them off, like mold. I to a 'flood n drain' type rinsing 2 or 3 times a day and I've never had true mold since doin that....and using a Victorio seed Sprouter set. (See my previous somment.

The white spider looking webs may not be mold at all. I thought that, then I looked closer (with a magnifying glass) and discovered those were tiny little hairs growing from the plant itself. They look limp after you rinse with water so it looks like it's washed away, but you can't rub them off, like mold. I to a 'flood n drain' type rinsing 2 or 3 times a day and I've never had true mold since doin that....and using a Victorio seed Sprouter set. (See my previous
somment.

Intresting ill have to find my magnifying glass to get a better look, ive been soaking them in a peroxide solution for a couple days which is suppose to kill mold but it is still there so ill look closer. I never tried that system you posted but if this doesnt work ill try that, ill be moving to Idaho before the end of the year hopefully from Arizona so that should help with the fodder issue but with the cold comes other issues lol.

Intresting ill have to find my magnifying glass to get a better look, ive been soaking them in a peroxide solution for a couple days which is suppose to kill mold but it is still there so ill look closer. I never tried that system you posted but if this doesnt work ill try that, ill be moving to Idaho before the end of the year hopefully from Arizona so that should help with the fodder issue but with the cold comes other issues lol.

I totally understand that, we live in Az and CO so from one extreme to another, lol. You will probably keep your home in Idaho warm enough to be comfortable to you (even if that is in the 60's) so they should sprout there just fine, if only just a tad slower maybe.

I totally understand that, we live in Az and CO so from one extreme to another, lol. You will probably keep your home in Idaho warm enough to be comfortable to you (even if that is in the 60's) so they should sprout there just fine, if only just a tad slower maybe.

Hopefully we find a house that has a basement so I can set up my fodder system/man cave down there lol.

Back
Top Bottom