Growing fodder for chickens

I had trouble with mold, but things are clearing up nicely.
I was using foil trays, but any bends would trap water.
So I have plastic bins with LOTS of tiny holes for drainage.
I also prefer to do wheat and barley in seperate bins. I found when one molded, the other didn't.it was usually the barley.
They grow at different rates, so that seems to work.
And be diligent about rinsing 2-3 times a day. If I for get one day and only rinse once, I see problems .
Otherwise they're growing nicely. I only let them go to about day 5, but before they were molded on day 4.
So if you have mold: re-evaluate your trays, rinse well . Seems to be working great

I only soak my seed for a hour at the most then drain them and let them sit in a covered bucket for 12 hours I rince twice once at 6 hrs and again before I put them in the trays. Over soaking can kill the seed embryo and they wont sprout, you should have more spouting then what you have in your pic im pretty sure they were over soaked.

Ah, thanks! I'll try that method with the next batch. How often do you soak them after you put them in the trays?

Tacopaco: You've opened up a hornets nest of naysayers vs. go ahead and do it folks. My response: Your plan would be no different than an auqaponic system, but you're throwing chickens into the loop. I've also considered the same option. Currently, the only fish I have are 3 little goldfish that I keep around to eat mosquito larvae. But, if time allows, they will be invited to a very crudely set up mini-Aquaponics system this winter. Folks grow duck weed and feed it to their chickens: provides a huge source of renewable protein. If the chickens don't get sick from eating duckweed which has been grown in tank water, your fodder shouldn't be much different. Let me play the devil's advocate here: The naysayers, (and I'm not pointing any fingers, because the logic is reasonable, and there would be a hundred other people who would agree with them... say it won't work. And for viable reasons: grains need a clean environment to sprout and not mold, and grow healthy. But, in an aquaponic system. seeds are often direct seeded in a growing medium and start day one being flooded with nutrient rich water from the fish tanks. They sprout. They don't mold and mildew or get slimy. They grow like mad. So, why wouldn't it be the same if that same water was used to sprout wheat and barley? And, why wouldn't those same sprouts grow like mad with the added nutrient from the fish tanks? My understanding is that after day 3 or day 4, when the little sprout has exhausted all of the nutrients packed in the seed, the nutritional value of that seedling actually goes down, until that seedling has an established root system and leaves, to actually start taking up nutrient from the soil, and the leaves are able to create energy through photosynthesis. So, if the goal is to go past the sprout stage, into the fodder stage, the nutrient in the tank water would only enhance the output. So, I say to all, don't say it can't be done until you've tried it and tried it again to work out any kinks)

That being said, there are other ?'s to be answered: #1: Will the chickens pick up any pathogens from the water? I am not an authority, but, if aquaponics are able to grow plants suitable for the human salad bowl, I think chickens would do equally as well with a meal provided from the same system. #2: Since the system would be "planted" much more densely than the typical aquaponic system, and likely to absorb much more nutrient from the water, would your system be subject to wild pH swings, and would the water draining back into the tanks from the seed trays have an excess of tannins or other products from the high density of seeds that would be harmful to the system. Again, I'm not an authority, but have heard plenty of recommendations from folks to save the water from sprouting to water house plants with, so, my initial thought is: I don't think so! #3: The typical aquaponic system is set up so it repeatedly floods and drains the root systems. If they sit in water they WILL rot. So, you'd have to set it up on a slow trickle so the seeds would not dry out, but would not remain in standing water. And those needs would change as the root mat starts to grow. So, I'd recommend that you use the typical aquaponic flood and drain system. So, Tacopaco: I say, go for it, perhaps with a bit more research on a site dedicated to aquaponics. Here's my challenge to you: Start a thread dedicated to the use of chickens in aquaponics, and let us know how well it is working for you, what works, what doesn't and how your system is set up.

Does your flock have access to fresh grass and greens? If so, IMO fodder is redundant. Do you have cold nasty winters with frozen ground and no access to fresh greens for months on end. (Stop it allready, I'm depressing myself!) IMO, that's where fodder can really shine. Also, you mentioned rye as a possibility: I've read somewhere that rye is not as readily digested as a lot of other grains. Any other folks with documention re: this, feel free to weigh in. And, Catryna hit the nail on the head: Shorter grass would be better. My plan would be to feed at the sprout stage: when the top sprout is no more than 2 - 3 x the length of the seed.
I am overly envious!

Great post!!!!!
yesss.gif
I'm liking the idea of sprouting to about 4 days for my chickens. They love, love it. I only sprouted a small batch the first time and boy did I learn a lesson. More, more. I'm on day 2 of a big batch.

I grew fodder last winter for my chickens and found they loved the roots and seed base but they where not too fond of the grass. I think it was too long for them . I let it grow 8 days it would get about 2 1/2 inches tall. This year I was thinking of just going about 3 -4 days until the seeds have sprouted but not really grown any grass. Does anyone else do it this way ?
At the suggestion of another in this thread, I sprout for four days, rinsing the seeds twice a day. I put them in socks that don't have tight threads and old terry cloths sown together (in half) with one end open. The ladies like to peck at the seeds stuck in the threads after turning the sock inside out and hanging it into their run. If it goes more than four days, they don't like it as much. I use both barley and wheat. When they are out and about, their first choice on the menu is a steady diet of grasshoppers and crickets, soon to come to an end.
sad.png

Newbie here... I normally grind, mix and ferment my own feed (along with BSF in the winter).
However, I'm feeding fodder (mostly barley) to my rabbits and am wondering about supplementing the chickens over the winter with some fodder since I have would only have to increase my fodder process slightly.
My question is... for supplementing over the winter approximately how much fodder by weight are folks feeding per head?

I am new to fodder. Question: The green part of the fodder grows long and thin, but the root system is not very thick.. It's like almost no roots at all! What do I need to do to correct this? Less water? More seeds?

It's just that when I watch videos on growing fodder, the root system is so thick, you have to cut it with a knife! Also, I am not getting a good germination rate. I soak it for 12 -24 hours before putting into a tray. Am I soaking it too long? Help please! Thanks.

That's because chickens are omnivores... they require animal protein.
I raise BSF in the summer and freeze them so that the chickens have animal protein in the winter.

I want to start my own colony of BSFL but having issues with attracting a wild colony I know there out here there just being difficult, anyway you could ship me some BSFL so I can get a colony started? If so PM me and ill give you my shipping info.

Back
Top Bottom