Growing fodder for chickens

Check your local ponds in spring - autumn, but if you want to get started sooner or don't have access, I saw some for sale on Amazon and gardenpool.org sells it too. Good Luck!

Hmmm... I've done small amounts of sprouts for treats but recently ran onto info for grazing frames and was wondering if anyone had tried these. It would be almost zero maintenance for me. Basically, it's fodder grown in trays or on the ground with a framed screen on top so the chickens only get the tops. What would you use for the screen? (I have some 1/4" hardware cloth?) Favorite plants? Any successes or problems with these? Height of sprouts to screen? Can't put it out until weather warms but thought I might start planning and building trays. Thought I'd experiment with some nutritious plants they don't get from me and weeding. Any experiences, thoughts, or opinions would be appreciated!
Hi blessed, I was blessed by the trailer company they have mesh used to make the sides of trailers. I think it's steel well I stopped in traded some eggs and got "scraps." :) They varied in size I placed bird trays with fodder seed in my garden, also some greens in the ground like broccoli, spinach, beets, sunflower seeds laid the mesh pieces over the top. Placed the mesh 2 bricks high, lol. Then used extra Tidy Cat containers on the side to place mesh on after the plants got bigger than 2 bricks. But my girls really enjoy me gardening, not for the greens but for the bugs, little stinkers! I took the mesh down and let the ducks, chickens, and goose feed at will once the garden was open they munched for a nice fall fattening harvest. My problem was poor draining clay soil, with better soil it would work.

FYI you should only "sprout" for chickens... Giving the full grown fodder will impact their crop and kill them. I learned the hard way. Fodder is great for rabbits though.
I'm late on this, but the chickens seem to love the sprouts better than fodder. Kassaundra sprouts in a sock and then turns it out and hangs on a stick.
gig.gif

I've just been feeding sprouts as a supplement to my chickens fermented or soaked food. I started with the sprouts of Wheat and Barley at about 1 to 2 months of age. I have 12 hens (6 Black Sex Links and 6 Red or Comet Sex Links) they are about 7 months old and have recently started laying 12 eggs a day regularly. I don't force them with lights just good food and care (love my hens)...I figured I'd be happy with 6 eggs per day this time of year...those sweet little hens are spoiling me ;o)
I have a book by the sproutman Steve Meyerowitz if you have questions on how the pros say they grow wheat grass to sell in stores or how they told him they do it for juice clinics just ask.
My Best to you and your feathered friends,
Greg

I've just been feeding sprouts as a supplement to my chickens fermented or soaked food. I started with the sprouts of Wheat and Barley at about 1 to 2 months of age. I have 12 hens (6 Black Sex Links and 6 Red or Comet Sex Links) they are about 7 months old and have recently started laying 12 eggs a day regularly. I don't force them with lights just good food and care (love my hens)...I figured I'd be happy with 6 eggs per day this time of year...those sweet little hens are spoiling me ;o)
I have a book by the sproutman Steve Meyerowitz if you have questions on how the pros say they grow wheat grass to sell in stores or how they told him they do it for juice clinics just ask.
My Best to you and your feathered friends,
Greg
welcome-byc.gif
Great number. I have 8 hens and 7 pullets and Nada. Of course I don't have sex links. I sold my 6 Golden Comets a few months ago because, hey, I have all these hens laying and new pullets going to start soon.
lau.gif
Starting back with my Comets and will never be without them again.

Last edited:
Thanks Linda...I had been given some chickens years ago and when they quit laying I got discouraged and sold them for a song.
What I learned from that round was start with fresh hatched peeps and then you know what you should have to work with ;o)
I think fermented feed + grains and sprout supplementation has a lot going for it...but I'm no scientist I just have these sweet feathered friends a laying their hearts out for me.
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom