Growing fodder for chickens

Too bad you're not nearby to share your surplus.  LOL

I know right. I never even thought about all the wheat and corn I can get from work before I got chickens. I didn't know about fodder either. I plan to grow a bunch of it especially for winter as its brutal here in the winters so I'm sure the chickens will love some fresh greens

clap.gif

In the interest of spreading my poultry feed budget, I'm growing fodder for my flock during the winter months. So far, for every one pound of seed, I'm getting 6 1/2 pounds of green fodder. They eat the seeds, the roots, and the green shoots. I prefer to use barley, but I haven't been able to get bulk barley this year so I'm growing wheat with a handful of black oil sunflower seeds per flat. Anybody else grow fodder for their birds?

Ok, this is going to be one of those "duh" questions, but i'm going to ask it anyway. you want to use hulled barley for sprouting correct? not pearled........

Hello everyone! I have 7 hens who are 19 weeks old! I have been growing fodder for about 2 months now and they love it. When they see me coming they run to the front of their coop and scream at me. haha I think they are yelling, "hurry hurry!"
yippiechickie.gif
I do have a few questions. I am new to raising chickens. So far it has been great! I love my girls! We are eagerly awaiting our first egg. I have several friends and family members who have a gluten allergy. We would like to feed the chickens a gluten free diet. Up to this point I have fed them a regular chick feed. I have been feeding them scraps of food and bread. They free range most of the day. The fodder I have been growing is mostly a mixture of milo and barley. I throw other seeds or legumes in there as a treat.

Now that they are close to laying I plan on doing away with the chick starter feed. I am thinking of getting them some corn and oats to go along with the fodder. They eat bugs while they free range and I give them worms too.

I would like to ask if anyone else does a gluten free diet or straight fodder. I want my hens to be healthy and happy. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated! Thanks!
big_smile.png

Hello everyone! I have 7 hens who are 19 weeks old! I have been growing fodder for about 2 months now and they love it. When they see me coming they run to the front of their coop and scream at me. haha I think they are yelling, "hurry hurry!"
yippiechickie.gif
I do have a few questions. I am new to raising chickens. So far it has been great! I love my girls! We are eagerly awaiting our first egg. I have several friends and family members who have a gluten allergy. We would like to feed the chickens a gluten free diet. Up to this point I have fed them a regular chick feed. I have been feeding them scraps of food and bread. They free range most of the day. The fodder I have been growing is mostly a mixture of milo and barley. I throw other seeds or legumes in there as a treat.

Now that they are close to laying I plan on doing away with the chick starter feed. I am thinking of getting them some corn and oats to go along with the fodder. They eat bugs while they free range and I give them worms too.

I would like to ask if anyone else does a gluten free diet or straight fodder. I want my hens to be healthy and happy. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated! Thanks!
big_smile.png
I, personally, have been on a gluten free diet for 4 years. We feed our chickens fodder also; the fodder coming from wheat berries. The feed we give our chickens, ducks, turkeys and guineas is GMO free with no corn or soy.

Back
Top Bottom