Growing fodder for chickens

I finally gave up on my fodder project.  I couldn't get the mold under control and the amount of time I was spending on it made it not worthwhile.

Did you try adding some lemon juice to the soaking water? When you water the fodder you might try adding a splash of lemon juice in with it as well

Did you try adding some lemon juice to the soaking water? When you water the fodder you might try adding a splash of lemon juice in with it as well

I tried bleach, vinegar and hydrogen peroxide (not mixed together, of course!). I tried soaking longer, soaking shorter, not soaking at all. I tried changing rooms I grew the fodder in.
One bag of seeds seemed to give me much more trouble than the first couple small bags I bought, but they all came from the same place.
I am hoping to make friends with a local produce company to provide me with some fresh greens over the winter. For now they have all the green stuff they can stuff in their beaks anyway.

I tried bleach, vinegar and hydrogen peroxide (not mixed together, of course!). I tried soaking longer, soaking shorter, not soaking at all. I tried changing rooms I grew the fodder in.
One bag of seeds seemed to give me much more trouble than the first couple small bags I bought, but they all came from the same place.
I am hoping to make friends with a local produce company to provide me with some fresh greens over the winter. For now they have all the green stuff they can stuff in their beaks anyway.
I also had difficulties, until I only used a very thin layer in the bottom of the container. Perhaps 1-2 seeds deep max.

Soak overnight with a little bleach in the soak water.
Rinse well the next day.
Lay in container that you will use to sprout them, thinly, as mentioned above.
The next day, stir the seeds up, only this one time.
Then rinse 2-3x per day.
Feed the fodder when 3-4 inches tall, don't wait too long.

The other important factor is to make sure your containers drain well. NO STANDING WATER. Drill enough holes to ensure this.

Last edited:
Wao I found something just like that. It was used for bread. I have it outside. I put screen on it so my seeds don't fall. So far it's working. I use the top empty to protect from other birds. My only concern is that the fodder roots might get stuck to the screen. I'll post how it works out.

I was curious to know if your system worked out. I'd like to grow my fodder on top of screen also because of mold growth.

I was curious to know if your system worked out. I'd like to grow my fodder on top of screen also because of mold growth.

I had calamitous mold growth growing on screen, and it was nearly impossible to separate it from the fodder roots. I have to basically shave it off with a sharp knife. Too time consuming. Hope someone else has better success.

If you google fodder mold solutions almost everything that comes up says to use a 3%-10% chlorine solution (I was looking for a solution as in an answer to the problem not a solution as in chemical formula. So much for organic.
I'm now growing in potting soil in flats and keeping it near my basement dehumidifier as its apparently the humidity that's kicking off the mold. It seems to be working well so far (though ps costs more than water).

Idk if anyone answered this but yes and no. Some fodder like wheat can't be consumed whole (only juiced by press) because we lack the proper digestion for it. Other sprouts like clover, lentils, and radish for example can be easily digested and taste great in salads and on things like sandwiches.

I've been searching this thread but I can't find any answers.
I'm wondering if growing fodder is a cheap food supplement, our is it just a snack for the chickens. Has anyone figured out the cost compared to feed? Any answers are welcome.
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom