Growing fodder for chickens

That's what I was thinking too. Chickens are supposed to eat seeds and bugs as well. I was thinking I could feed fodder in combination with mealies and scratch and peck food. I know when I have given sprouts in the past they always went for the chicken feed first.

Yes as a healthy supplement. Personally I would not rely on it as a primary source of nutrition.

That's what I was thinking too. Chickens are supposed to eat seeds and bugs as well. I was thinking I could feed fodder in combination with mealies and scratch and peck food. I know when I have given sprouts in the past they always went for the chicken feed first.
Good idea. You can't beat a high quality chicken food to keep your chickens healthy. Then greens or certain other limited treats make nice supplements.

I've noticed with the sweet potato vines to pick at around their run combined with the scratch and peck feed my birds barely eat any sprouts I give them. I'm thinking during the warm months they might just not go for this. I will still try it out though this winter and see if they will go for barley fodder better than the sprouts I've tried.

Back
Top Bottom