Growing fodder for chickens

I thought I read somewhere towards the beginning that mold has a hard time growing below 62 and if you are having a lot of mold it might be too warm...??? BUT, the mold I am getting is the soft grey you described so maybe I don't have anything to worry about after all. I'll move my fodder back indoors where it's a little bit warmer and see if that helps. Thanks so much for your recommendations :)
V
So the grey wispy mold is ok to feed?? Also does anyone have a problem with it attracting little gnats??

Yes, it will attract fruit flies/fungus gnats/etc.. I finally had to move my ferment buckets outside because of them. A helpful toad/spider team took up residence nearby so I don't have many insects around the buckets at all.

Hi all! I have been growing fodder for about 1 1/2 years now. Every year about this time, i have trouble with the growth. Usually about the time we turn on heat in the house. My fodder is in the utility room. Temp is about 70. Humidity right now is at 42 percent. Anybody have any ideas as to whether either of these need adjusting to get the growth i have been getting until change in weather? My first year i remember this coincided with a new bag of seed. I thought somethimg was wrong with the seed and even posted about it here. My girls love their fodder and I'd hate to disappoint them with this sad looking results i have right now.

We have 30 some chickens and 2 big ol turkeys. My husband built a rack with pvc that holds 5 bins plus one to catch the rinse water. I soak 2 c barley plus one c wheat each night and put in bin next day. Water twice daily. Feed top bin and rotate the rest. He also put a sprayer thing that is attached on the mop sink right across from the fodder rack. This makes it so easy to do my rinsing.we usually have lush green bins by the time it is in the top spot. Except this time of year when growth really slows. Not sure if my temp or my humidity is the reason for the slowdown. This morning the bin i fed out had about 1/2:in growth instead of usual 4-5.

We have 30 some chickens and 2 big ol turkeys. My husband built a rack with pvc that holds 5 bins plus one to catch the rinse water. I soak 2 c barley plus one c wheat each night and put in bin next day. Water twice daily. Feed top bin and rotate the rest. He also put a sprayer thing that is attached on the mop sink right across from the fodder rack. This makes it so easy to do my rinsing.we usually have lush green bins by the time it is in the top spot. Except this time of year when growth really slows. Not sure if my temp or my humidity is the reason for the slowdown. This morning the bin i fed out had about 1/2:in growth instead of usual 4-5.
Do you know what the humidity is in your house during the warmer months when the heat isn't on? If it is higher, then it makes sense that might have something to do with it.
How often do you rinse? Perhaps you need to increase the frequency this time of year.
Or, keep a mister there, and zap the bins with mist whenever you pass by?

It sure would be worth trying to bump moisture to see if this helps.

I've sprouted in a mason jar before and just thrown the sprouts out to my girls, but I'd love to make it a bigger operation and do fodder. I lucked out and found white wheat from a local lady who sold organic grains, and she sold me a 25# bag for around $1 a pound. Unfortunately, she had to quit the grain business and take care of an ill family member. Every place I'm looking for sprouting seeds is way too expensive for me to buy an ongoing supply. Any suggestions on where to find an affordable source? I'm in Southern IN, near Louisville KY. Thanks for any suggestions!

Can you find it at a feed store? They often sell it by the 50# bag. The last time I bought some (may have been 2 years ago, it was about $26/bag for wheat or barley. Just be sure it is whole grain, meant for feed, not heat treated, and not pressed or crimped. You might be able to get them to order it for you. You could also check and see if they have a product similar to this. It is often sold at drastic discounts after deer season is over. http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/evolved-harvest-throw-amp-grow-no-till?a=1590149

Back
Top Bottom