Growing Mangoes in New England?

sunny & the 5 egg layers

Crowing
8 Years
Mar 29, 2011
Over the winter while eating a store bought mango, I decided to crack open the seed and plant it in my miniature indoor greenhouse and see what happens. Well, to my surprise I ended up with a mango plant. I planted another seed and now I have two mango plants.

My problem is, they can't stay in the house forever and I'd eventually like to plant them outside. But, I live in New England, where we get cold snowy winters. Since Mangoes like the tropical climates, I think our winters will kill the tree.

My question is, how can I plant my mango tree in my climate without it dying? Wrap insulation around it? I have a lot of pipe insulation that I got on clearance this year. Maybe that would work. Will no sun light in the winter kill my tree?

You may be able to retard the height, but you will have to keep it in a container and put that on casters so you can move it inside. Some people have issues growing it in San Diego, so you have a big challenge ahead of you. If it is the red Mexican type, it may not fair too well. The smaller yellow (Altufo sp?) is easier to grow, but you should hand pollinate and feed it fish emulsion. Good luck!!

Back
Top Bottom