Growing open wound worsening, any ideas? (with pictures) //Updated

gottsegnet

Songster
10 Years
Mar 19, 2009
Nebraska
I noticed a scab on one of our chicks and separated her yesterday morning, but the wound is getting worse.

This is how I first found it:

injuryam.jpg

This is after 8 hours of separation:

injurypm.jpg

This is this morning.

wound.jpg

Is that just swelling, or is it a growth of some kind? I put Neosporin on it, but don't see any difference. She won't stop scratching at it, and I don't know how to stop that, either.

She is eating and drinking and crying for a friend, but the wound keeps getting worse. What is the appropriate treatment, or does she need to be culled?

Last edited:
Any way you can put little booties on her? Like mittens for babies? If you could put a narrow strip of gauze with vet-wrap over it she wouldn't be able to tear at it as much.

Make sure you are using the Neo without lidocaine. Good luck, that's a nasty wound.

can you make some kind of collar for her? Akin to an Elizabethan collar they use on dogs? Maybe a small paper cup, slipped over her head around her neck? Or bandaging, with a medicated gauze in place. That wound will get seriously infected if left like that. Scratching with fecal matter on the feet is not good.
My ideas may be Korny...Trying to help...
idunno.gif

Lisa

Edited for misspelled words...

Last edited:
Funny you mention an Elizabethan collar. I was trying to figure out how to do something like that. I'm considering taping her feet together and letting her just sit there, but I don't know how long that will last until she picks it off anyway.

Guess I can try. Running out for some blue kote and medical tape soon. We'll see how it looks if I can keep her from scratching.

Maybe I can just stuff her in a sock and let her roll around? My ideas are way cornier, I fear.

Hmmmm..... the sock is a funny mental pic!
lau.gif

But taping the legs together, like you would use for spraddle leg - that's a GREAT idea!

I think the idea of taping leggs together like for spraddle leg is genius. I agree that she's probably scratching it. You might also try trimming her little nails--just the tips.

I would go with the socks...shes already having enough problems with the wound, I'd hate to alter her ambulation too much by taping her legs together. I'd also give the wound a good wash out (after the socks), they apply the ointment; think I'd leave it open to air (since she'll have socks on)>

Back
Top Bottom