Growing open wound worsening, any ideas? (with pictures) //Updated

Well, she (or he) is now immobilized and the wound is coated w/ blue antiseptic spray. I had hoped to do a loose bind on her legs that might allow her to walk, yet, but she's feisty! It was all I could do to hang on while my daughter bound the legs.

She's doing her favorite thing now which is resting next to the food dish. She only fought it for a few seconds. I don't think Cornish crosses have all that much energy and she exhausted herself trying to get out of my hands.

I'm really hoping that keeping her from scratching will allow her to heal quickly and this will maybe only last a day or two. I'll take it off in a few hours to let her move and change the bandage. I'll let you know how it goes!

I've never dealt with a wound like that,but I can tell you what I do fo small wounds;

I clean the area with some sort of mild anticeptic (I use mild soap and warm water), then I usually apply terramyacin ointment. I have used vet wrap before,but about half of the time it gets pulled off.
smile.png

Good luck!

I took the bandage off today and let her play outside under the heat lamp. She seemed content to scratch at the ground rather than her wound, so I left the binding off most of the day. When it started to get windy, she huddled down under her heat lamp and I decided to bring her in. She was so cute. I ran in to get the antiseptic and she actually followed me up the steps and waited at the kitchen door for me! (She was in a pen up until then. I had taken it in and then realized I should maybe apply the medicine outside where I wouldn't stain my wall purple again!)

Once inside, she began scratching again immediately, so we had to tape her back up. Hoping to do the same again tomorrow if it is as warm enough.

It doesn't look any better, but the wound is at least dry and no longer seeping. I smelled her and she still just smells like chicken so I'm hoping there isn't any infection.

She's still alone, but we moved her pen so she can at least hear and see the other chicks. She doesn't cry out as much.

this might sound weird if you don't want to tape her legs together, but I had a roo with curled toes and I put a dime in the palm of his foot and duct tape, I tried med tape but he got that off. He could barely walk never mind scratch himself. It sound like he was tap dancing but it worked.

I was worried about that, but I don't see evidence of any, and none of the other chicks were scratching. I *think* it is just the scab itself itching as it heals. She seemed less itchy today, being outside for a couple hours without being bound. In her box, she began to itch again but it didn't seem as constant or as intense.

See if you can get this medication , may be walmart or kmart will carry it on the mexican products
is called MERTHIOLATE TICTURE this is very good stuff, it drys the wound very fast and stops the itching , use a droper to vover all the afected area i have had worse situations than that little chick and this MERTHILATE has help very good

Thanks, jm!

She's looking much better today and I'm hoping to take off the bandaged feet tomorrow to see if the itching has stopped.

The swelling is gone. The scab still looks nasty, but some of that is because it is died purple. I'll take another picture to share tomorrow for comparison, but I was so happy to see the swelling had gone down!

She's never stopped eating or drinking and I'm not so sure she's any less active than the other Cornish crosses we have. Unless I frighten her and she tries to run, she seems to get around ok with an awkward sort of hop/waddle. We got the tape on much looser when we changed it.

After four days of being immobilized (most of the time. I took the tape off frequently, but put it back on when she scratched), Purple Bird's wound was much better. Just a tiny scab where the original wound was.

It obviously still itched when I took off the tape from her legs. She tried to scratch, but four days of mostly sitting in front of the feed dish made it too difficult. She just fell over when she tried. I decided that was preferable to tape and left her.
purple.jpg

I put her with the other chicks to see how it went and a few went after the wound. Four days sitting in front of the feed dish, however, seems to have helped. She's got quite a size advantage even on the other Cornish crosses. The little layers can't reach her head when she stands and she stares down the other Cornish crosses or fights with them. They always back down and she struts about the little victor.

Ok, so I'm also really beginning to believe she is a he!
lol.png

This morning, I couldn't eve really tell where the original wound was. And she's (he's) strong enough to scratch again, but doesn't. Yeah!!!!

Back
Top Bottom