Injured hen limping

Galisteo

In the Brooder
Jul 24, 2022
Galisteo, New Mexico
Please help with advice. Yesterday morning noticed my hen limping. She is a one year old laying hen and hurt her right foot or leg. No bumblefoot or visible wound. Leg feels fine to touch, no heat. Slight swelling on middle toe. Separated yesterday and put her back with girls to sleep in seperate area. Big mistake because she got out this am and the limping is worse. She is with girls in separate cage. Eating and drinking OK
Video

Please help with advice. Yesterday morning noticed my hen limping. She is a one year old laying hen and hurt her right foot or leg. No bumblefoot or visible wound. Leg feels fine to touch, no heat. Slight swelling on middle toe. Separated yesterday and put her back with girls to sleep in seperate area. Big mistake because she got out this am and the limping is worse. She is with girls in separate cage. Eating and drinking OK
Video
I'm not an expert but I have a rooster who used to limp/walk like he was hopping for a few days. The limp went away itself, but it wasn't as bad as the one in the video. If a chicken 1) land abnormally from the roosting 2) another chicken land on her, especially a heavy one from the roosting 3) someone step accidentally on her toe, all these are a good reasons for possible injury. Note here that I have a hen that her toe was tangled in the net and broke but she was fine and she still is, even though her toe is curved sideways. If the chicken eating and drinking normally is a good sign. But maybe the safest way is to go for an X-Ray because if it is a dislocated bone, I'm not sure if it will be fixed by itself.

Video
What exactly have you been feeding?

18% layer feed
When super hot, frozen strawberry water or frozen peas, some weeds and mealworms.
Stop feeding the treats and measure the feed...see if she's eating about 3/4 cups worth each day while caged.

Some nutrition deficiencies can cause a limp.
It's the first thing to test/ eliminate...by offering a balanced diet.

I'm not an expert but I have a rooster who used to limp/walk like he was hopping for a few days. The limp went away itself, but it wasn't as bad as the one in the video. If a chicken 1) land abnormally from the roosting 2) another chicken land on her, especially a heavy one from the roosting 3) someone step accidentally on her toe, all these are a good reasons for possible injury. Note here that I have a hen that her toe was tangled in the net and broke but she was fine and she still is, even though her toe is curved sideways. If the chicken eating and drinking normally is a good sign. But maybe the safest way is to go for an X-Ray because if it is a dislocated bone, I'm not sure if it will be fixed by itself.
Thank you. No one has stepped on her, but possibilities of 1 and 2 are there. I took away their perch because I know she jumped from that the say before. I am worried about her.

Stop feeding the treats and measure the feed...see if she's eating about 3/4 cups worth each day while caged.

Some nutrition deficiencies can cause a limp.
It's the first thing to test/ eliminate...by offering a balanced diet.
Thank you! I will do that. Do you think I should add vitamins or electrolytes?

Back
Top Bottom