Growing Too Fast For Feathers?

raneydayfarm

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 15, 2009
We are new to meat birds. I know this is a hard question to answer without piicture but I don't have any pics right now, I will add later. I have heard these birds can grow too fast for their feathers to grow. I have a Cornish Rock hen I have been worried about she almost looks like a chicken in deep moult but she never had feathers where they are missing. Does this sound normal or does this sound like something else might be wrong?

Last edited:
Yup. These birds not only grow to be huge in a hurry, they have been bred to already be half plucked at butchering time!

(Not Really-Just Joking!)

But, they sure look like it don't they????

Quote:
Too funny... I've always thought they do grow out faster than their feathers can keep up with, but never saw it as the "plus" you mentioned.... half plucked at butchering!

BTW, I was just telling some friends how much I enjoyed the area you live in Patchesnposies! It was my favorite place to visit in NM.

I agree completely. Here's one of my Cornish Rocks at 3 weeks - it's like the feathers can't grow fast enough to cover her enormous body:

cornish_rock_3wks.jpg

Between growing to fast for their feathers and the massive amounts of heat that they produce keeping the feathers from growing fast, they do end up looking like funny looking creatures all red and featherless.

Just less work for you in the end thats all, LOL

Back
Top Bottom