1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Growling rooster?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by madgabmomma, Aug 9, 2011.

1. madgabmomma

madgabmomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    SE Texas
    I have all kinds of chickens and several roosters (6 I think), but only one standard sized rooster. He's a black austrolorp and he acts so much different than my bantam roosters. Actually I had another standard sized rooster about 2yrs ago and he didn't act like this guy either. He growls at me, seriously. When I come around, and occassionally I hear him do it when I'm not out there, he makes this horrable growling noise. He has lots of really loud noises he makes, but his crowe is the quietest of the bunch. He also runs after me everytime I turn my back too him, but as soon as I turn too face him he stops. He's never attacked me or even pecked at me, but if I'm walking away he's trailing behind me. Is this a dominance thing? None of my bantam roosters do that. My last standard rooster had to go to rooster heaven due to jumping on my back and spurring me about 10x. Luckily I had coveralls on and he didn't actually cut me, but he was not playing around. In fact he chased me acoss 2acres of land too the barn and paced the outside waiting for me too come back out. I really don't want this too happen again, especially since I have kids. I really want a big rooster too protect the hens since they free range a lot and we do have hawks and predators, but I won't keep a mean rooster, but I also hate too sentence him too death if these behaviors are something else? Thanks for you're opinions and advice in advance!

2. gamechicken

gamechicken Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2011
    the best rooster 2 have is a game rooster (mainly red or greys) and he attack a hawk. the hawk came 2 get him but he was meet half way, and finaly the hawk left because the rooster was pretting the biddies and hens because early i lost a hen 2 a hawk

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by